Sylvan Stops Producing Fishing Boats

craigdritchie

It's official - with the 2013 model year Sylvan will be building pontoon boats exclusively. Their aluminum fishing models will now be rolled into the Starcraft line.

Sylvan has enjoyed insane success with their performance pontoons using their RPT tube design (tubes aren't round, each one has a V bottom) - to the point they can't build them fast enough and have boat dealers in Canada and the US crying for boats. They're really awesome pontoons, and are often sold with big V6 outboards on the back. Ever driven a pontoon with a 250 on the back of it? It's quite the experience, believe me.

Since Starcraft, Sylvan and Smokercraft are all basically the same company, the Sylvan fishing boats used a lot of Starcraft design elements to begin with. Rolling those models into the Starcraft brand just makes sense. But if you really have your heart set on owning a fishing boat with the word "Sylvan" on the side of it, you better move fast. Once the 2012s are gone, you won't be able to buy one.

For what it's worth, I just got back from seeing all the new Sylvan, Smokercraft and Starcraft models. They have 130 new boats for model-year 2013. That's not a typo - 130 new boats. New seats, new deck layouts, new features galore. The only models that carry over from last year are the 12-foot and 14-foot tinnies. Everything else is brand new from the keel up.

It's official - with the 2013 model year Sylvan will be building pontoon boats exclusively. Their aluminum fishing models will now be rolled into the Starcraft line.

Sylvan has enjoyed insane success with their performance pontoons using their RPT tube design (tubes aren't round, each one has a V bottom) - to the point they can't build them fast enough and have boat dealers in Canada and the US crying for boats. They're really awesome pontoons, and are often sold with big V6 outboards on the back. Ever driven a pontoon with a 250 on the back of it? It's quite the experience, believe me.

Since Starcraft, Sylvan and Smokercraft are all basically the same company, the Sylvan fishing boats used a lot of Starcraft design elements to begin with. Rolling those models into the Starcraft brand just makes sense. But if you really have your heart set on owning a fishing boat with the word "Sylvan" on the side of it, you better move fast. Once the 2012s are gone, you won't be able to buy one.

For what it's worth, I just got back from seeing all the new Sylvan, Smokercraft and Starcraft models. They have 130 new boats for model-year 2013. That's not a typo - 130 new boats. New seats, new deck layouts, new features galore. The only models that carry over from last year are the 12-foot and 14-foot tinnies. Everything else is brand new from the keel up.

Thanks for update. I didn't know Starcraft was linked to the other two. I've owned 2 Smokercrafts and both were great. Upgraded to a bigger Starcraft and I absoluely love it.

and here is one of the reasons why......

a stupid country song....

I kid you not.... heard it on the news today.... since this song became mainstream houseboat sales have gone up 500%

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V0O0nzkESTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've had a Sylvan 30 years now, for the most part it worked like GM, the same basic boat was marketed by both firms with a few cosmetic differences just like Pontiac and Chevy versions on the same body platform. What is more disturbing than losing the Sylvan line is Starcraft has seemed to discontinue the Islander models :wallbash:

Any time line on when the '13 models will be available to view online?

The website is being completely revamped right now, and with 130 new boats I expect that is a major amount of work. Just getting the pictures done is one thing, but updating all the specs and videos too .... wow. I know they've been working on it for a couple of weeks now, so I would think the new site with 2013 models should be up soon. Keep checking, I guess.

I've had a Sylvan 30 years now, for the most part it worked like GM, the same basic boat was marketed by both firms with a few cosmetic differences just like Pontiac and Chevy versions on the same body platform. What is more disturbing than losing the Sylvan line is Starcraft has seemed to discontinue the Islander models :wallbash:

Agreed - I've always loved the Islanders too. But I guess the larger open boats like the STX 2050 outsell them.

One of the boats they had on display was a pimped-up Viper 206, which is a fibreglass walleye boat with a full windshield. It's the same one they had on display at the ICAST show a few weeks ago. Verrrrrry nice :-)

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Sylvan is just going back to their roots......

"Sylvan Marine traces its history back to the late 1940s, when it was founded as a pontoon and houseboat manufacturer near Sylvan Lake in Wolcottville, Indiana. The company was purchased in the early 1970s by Harold Schrock, whose father founded Starcraft back in 1903. Today, the Sylvan brand is part of the Smoker Craft Family of Products and continues to be known for high quality, innovative pontoons and aluminum fishing boats. We invite you to experience the pride of owning a Sylvan - and becoming part of our family’s tradition".