Trent Severn Waterway Petition

fisherman7

Hi, I pulled this post from the FB TSW Board. Sign the petition if you want.

We just returned from a fantastic boat trip Left from Sturgeon to Orilla then back down and up to love sick, while on our adventure the lock masters were telling us about the potential cut backs to the TSW they told us we could help by signing the on line petition here is the web-site www.historiccanalsofcanada.com This site closes in a few days. Also on the site there is a tab that will give you links to your MPP you can send them an e-mail as well. Would love to see a happy out come

My link

Hi, I pulled this post from the FB TSW Board. Sign the petition if you want.

We just returned from a fantastic boat trip Left from Sturgeon to Orilla then back down and up to love sick, while on our adventure the lock masters were telling us about the potential cut backs to the TSW they told us we could help by signing the on line petition here is the web-site www.historiccanalsofcanada.com This site closes in a few days. Also on the site there is a tab that will give you links to your MPP you can send them an e-mail as well. Would love to see a happy out come

My link

Did anyone sign up?

I have mixed feelings on this. We have a cottage in Bobcaygeon and plan on retiring there. We discovered Bobcaygeon on a house boat vacation when are kids where small and have been going back ever since. It is highly likely that we would have never fell in love with the town if the houseboat trip was not involved. So I'm grateful to the TSW for giving us this part of our lives.

Having said that our economy looks like it will continue to struggle for awhile so everyone including our government have to look at ways to pull up there socks and be a little bit more responsible with money. Now if the TSW feels they need to cut/or are being forced to cut back to do there part then I fully support it. Tough choices might have to be made and I understand that many will be affected. But honestly from my perspective of being a weekend resident of Caygeon for the last 8 summers, outside of the House boat companies...which I'm sure will suffer... I really don't see local businesses being terribly impacted by this. The vast majority of visitors come by car and that isn't going to change. And boaters in the area will still have the ability to motor into town and shop as long as they are not locking through. The only other group to be adversely affected are the people wealthy enough to have a boat and travel on it. In these tough times I really don't see why the general public should support there recreational activities. Nobody likes getting things taken away from them or having restrictions placed on things they currently enjoy.

Whether we are at that point is up for debate.

The only other group to be adversely affected are the people wealthy enough to have a boat and travel on it. In these tough times I really don't see why the general public should support there recreational activities.

Wow i'd rather this then know my taxes are going to drunks and crackheads on welfare, the general public supports there"recreational activitys"

That article is a little short on hard facts. Last time I was on the Trent Severn by Big Chute, it was packed with boats waiting to go over into Gloucestor. If all those disappear, that's a lot of $$$$ that will be pulled out of the local economy (fuel, food, attractions, etc etc)

Edited by BillM

My understanding from talking to a lock worker in Bobcaygeon was that the proposal was to cut hours of operation not close locks..although he admitted he really didn't have a clue what was really going to take place.

Closing locks and cutting hours are 2 entirely different things. People using the locks will just have to be more mindfull of the hours. It's the same as any business you wanna use. If you go when the store isn't open then your going to be disappointed.

Crackheads and welfare are an entirely different arguement. I would however whole heartedly agree that some serious cash could be saved if they trimmed the budget on that as well. I think I would even go as far as to say they could save way more money then they will save by playing with the TSW.

As a canal worker on the TSW, I feel the need to comment on this topic.

The current proposal for the TSW cuts looks rather grim for the surrounding communities, small business owners and visitors to the Waterway. The navigational season will be reduced by 3 weeks, the shoulder seasons will be limited to Fri-Sun and during high season the days will be reduced by 2 hours.

The shoulder season reductions will significantly reduce the number of American travelers. These folks stop at many of the small communities, do some shopping and restock their supplies $$$. To a community like Campbellford or Buckhorn, this reduction in business can have a large impact.

What about the weekend warriors that use these locks all weekend long during our navigation season? Many of them are young families in small boats that are bringing their kids through a lock for the first time. Many of these fathers or mothers are returning to share the experience with their kids, while sharing stories of locking through when they were kids.

I could go on and on, but at the end of the day these cost cutting measures will result in a savings that's literally a drop in the bucket.

I welcome any feedback and questions.

Tight lines OFC

ps - Long Time lurker, first time poster. I should have introduced myself, but I'll save that for another post and include some pictures of a recent outing on Pigeon Lake.