Pickerel River - east or west of 69?

Jigster

Hello OFC. Jigster here... I've gone by the moniker Jerkbait Annihilator (in the days when CanaDave was on this board), Schnaggs, and have settled on Jigster. Been coming to this site since its inception and am in awe of how things have grown. Since its been a while, some images have been included below from trips over the last couple of years with my dad, my faithful fishing partner. In fact, my dad and i are planning a trip from Sep 14-18, most likely to the Pickerel as we like its easy access, lack of boat traffic and quality fishing. We've had some substantial success west of the 69 and are wondering if exploring the waters further east (Kawimagog to Toad Lake area) is worth it without sacrificing the fishing and boat traffic? BTW we're not diehard musky or walleye anglers, with numbers of bass drifting leeches providing plenty of fun... Also looking at pine grove http://www.pinegroveresort.com/ so any feedback would be hugely appreciated (and reciprocated) Many thanks!!

309637795_ME3bc-M.jpg

309449620_GpKzh-M.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Thanks Bubbles - we've had some great adventures over the years. Fond memories include my dad hooking up with a monster laker while smallie fishing with senkos in Quebec or both of us being introduced to fly fishing on a magical river whose numerous bass take very kindly to black wooly buggers!

A couple buddies and I stayed at Pine Grove for a week once, going back almost 20 years. The cottage, boat rental and facilities were all topnotch. Just the fishing was lacking, we did quite poorly. It was mid-summer and very hot and muggy for the whole week. We mostly explored down-river as far as the 522 bridge and really didn't go past Toad Lake up-stream.

I have a cottage on Wilson Lake which is on the system. The fishing this year has been the best since we purchased the place in 2010, maybe getting to know the water better. Lots of smallmouth, walleye fishing has been OK and plenty of northerns in the 4 to 7 pound range. There are trout in Wilson and Duck Lakes but haven't gone after any as yet, I typically target them through the ice.

I have never stayed at Pine Grove but it looks nice. There is a lot of boat traffic that passes it so it will be exposed to wake, although that time in Sept it should be minimal. Another place to consider would be Wright Point Resort:

http://www.wrightpointresort.com

Nice resort, good people. You're still close to Toad Lake and have Wilson/Duck/Pigeon that you can fish.

We have had water issues this year with a hole in the bottom of the outlet dam and the level is 15 inches below normal. No problem with navigating the river or the lakes just be a little more careful close to shore. After getting no help from the MNR, a few locals went up and fixed the dam, here's the story from the Nugget:

http://www.nugget.ca/2012/07/31/frustrated-locals-fix-dam

PM me if you have any questions