Ideal Rig for Ice fishing ?

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I know Im starting early, but I want to get my gear lined up for ice fishing.

I got the bug last year when we made a few trips to Simcoe. Im after a trophy perch this year.

Im looking at getting a 4 wheeler and a small clam style shanty.

What would be the best 4 wheeler for the job ? I have been told a smaller 2wd is the best so if you get stuck, its easy to move out.

But I think a 4wd would be the best option, no ?

If it's strictly for icefishing, I'd pick a snowmobile.. If you are going to pick a 4wheeler, definitely 4wd.. I've used both out on the ice, the only time the 4wheeler really struggles is when there's a lot of snow or a lot of slush.. They tend to sink compared to a snowmobile in the same conditions.

When you get into back lake icefishing, snowmobile hands down.

Edited by BillM

Ask here or hereand you'll get plenty of information.

I think your choice may depend on where you fish. However, in my experience, there seem to be a lot more ice fishermen with ATV's than sleds on the bigger lakes. For back lakes, I think what Bill said is true. I still use my two feet, so I can't offer much more than that.

Mostly Lake St.Clair.... but I want to make a few weekend trips to quinte/simcoe/nipissing.

Im thinking a good 4x4 ATV is what I am after.... it can be used YEAR round and they are a little more my style. We dont get much snow for sledding around here so a skidoo wouldn't get nearly the same amount of use.