Blatant attack on our fishing rights

knightfisher

Hi all, I've been a member of this site for many years. I always keep up to date on what's happening on the forum, and enjoy reading the catches members here report on. I post on occaison and this is one of those times.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to post another fishing site here, guess I will find out.

I'm also member of niagarafishing.net. In St.Catharines we are having a situation where the rowing club has tried to stop the public from launching or fishing on this public parcel of land which part of is rented by the rowing club off the city.

Henley island in St. Catharines is considered a park with regards to city hall records. As such the public can enter and enjoy the area. The rowing club feels they own the whole island, and what they did was put huge boulders at the only two access points for launching canoes, kayaks and small tinnies.

On this web site above I have posted a thread called "Blantant attack on our fishing rights"

I invite the members here to view the thread and if possible join up and post your opinions.

As you read the post you will see the pictures I posted and the over 1000 views -which is good

for our site- and over 50 replies.

This thread has to do with our fishing rights as well as launching rights being taken away.

This affects every one. Peoples voices need to be heard. Toronto water front was a situation recently

where the public and their involvement ensured anglers would be able to fish there.

This is the same thing.

Again I'm asking for the members here to go to this other site, read the thread and if possible make a comment.

Mods---I don't know if I broke any rules posting another web site here. But this is a very important situation

as not to lose another fishing spot. It affects us all.

Thank you

Dan Burke

It's happening more and more up north were public launches are being filled in or blocked because of cottage owners think they own the lake. Plus I think it's maybe marinas and politics making it so you have to pay to fill their pockets.. I don't mined paying at some areas $5 to $10 bucks for a well kept ramp but lots are gouging. :wallbash: Innisville pops to mind :whistling:

Now that you got me worked up, I'm heading to 50 Pt. as we type were they charge $23.00 to launch. :wallbash: Good job I have a pass. :whistling:

Edited by Fish Farmer

They've been whining and complaining about people launching boats/canoes off the island since I was a little kid. Launch at the park and avoid the hassle.

On the other side of the coin, it's public land.. I can't see how they can block access for people to launch canoes/tinnies via the island. Call the city and complain...

Edited by BillM

Sorry.........but I think you forgot to add the website or pictures.

And YES, we have to take EVERY threat to our water access SERIOUSLY.

Bob

The website is --niagarafishing.net-- google will get you there.

Agreed Billy, we have to take every threat seriously.

Pictures can be seen on the site and again the thread Blatant attack on our fishing rights.

Thanks to all who came over for a visit.

Dan