Fishing in Algonquin in late August

baracuda

Hello everyone!

Been lurking around here and learned a lot in the last few weeks. Thank you! Hoping someone could give a beginner some pointers for fishing in late August in Algonquin. I understand trout fishing is what Algonquin is known for so catching a few of those beauties would be amazing.

I have fished with a Texas rig this summer with some success (caught bass) but I'm wondering if I should be trying something else for trout. This is a 5 day trip and we are taking a bunch of musical instruments with us so space for a tackle box will be very limited - I would prefer to have a basic, versatile setup. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

wolf river rig is the only thing thats going to help you in August. Floating minnow bait behind it.I prefer Yo-Zuri minnows

Bingo, beat me to it.

The fish will be deep so 2-4oz weights are standard.

A small lightweight portable depth finder would be worth its weight in gold.

6'0 ML spinning rod and reel, 6 lb mono for your rod setup.

For lures, the above advice is good. Mepps work very well for me in algonquin. I usaully bring an assortment of mepps blk fury #0,1,2, panther martins in the same sizes, small 1-3" floating rapala plugs, and a few spoons such as little cleo's and kastmasters. Also bring some hooks and sinkers, as well as worms.

If you are mostly fishing in a lake, then go with the above advice. Use the wolf river rig (3-way rig). It is esentially the mainline tied to snap swivel, 18-24" dropper with 2-4 oz. weight, 5-6 ft fluoro leader with your lure tied on the back. Let it sink a bit then start trolling, the trout will most likely be holding along the thermocline.