Bhut Jolokia

Those are some nice looking peppers Ice. My plant is at the same stage as that one. I have some bonemeal in the shed and will give mine some tomorrow. Do most nurseries carry the liquid fish with kelp? I have just been using Miracle grow every two weeks to fertilize but would rather use a organic product.

Do most nurseries carry the liquid fish with kelp? I have just been using Miracle grow every two weeks to fertilize but would rather use a organic product.

I found it here:

http://www.damseeds.ca/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=2607

Haven't seen in in any other nurseries...but you maybe able to order it on line.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

To my knowledge the Bhut Jolokia is the world's hottest pepper, but there is disagreement over that fact. Once upon a time the Caribbean Red Habanero was the worlds hottest pepper. The issue is that there is no "true" hottest pepper, unless you want to go to each growers garden and double check their own peppers. Cross breeds, soil chemistry, growing conditions, etc all influence the heat produced by the capsaicin within the peppers.

I grew about a dozen caribbean red habanero plants a few years ago and harvested about 500-600 peppers which I dried and use in my cooking nearly everyday. I have been considering growing bhut jolokia, but most of the ones I've found in greenhouses and at my University are not actually bhut jolokia. Many greenhouses and suppliers get duped by wholesalers or actually try and dupe consumers themselves to play off the popularity. It is very difficult to tell the difference between the vast supply of pepper plants available, especially when they are immature, or seeds. The best and most cost effective option would be to source an online supplier who can provide authenticity certificates to ensure what you are growing is legit.

People don't grow the ghost pepper to consume daily, but to be able to say they grew and tried the world's hottest pepper variety. Keep in mind that most suppliers of this pepper plant realize that the potency is GREATLY affected by growing conditions, soil chemistry, etc and will provide you with the needed instructions (likely written) to ensure you're satisfied. If you didn't receive instruction like this, then the likelihood of the pepper plant being a bhut jolokia is suspect.

Either way, when you give these babies a shot make sure you have this playing

The Daves insanity, 357 and Ass sauces are applied, during cooking, one drop at a time. Any more and it's overpowering, but at that rate it's very flavorful and adds just the right amount of heat to make you sweat and hyperventilate a bit...lol

My wife and kids won't go near it.

As far as Bhuts, or any other pepper for that matter, bring it on, I'm a well seasoned hot stuff eater.

I put 4 bhuts into a sauce for hot wings and while it burned my face off, I loved it.

Some can handle it, some can't.

I got the hottest wings made at Wild Wings, was warned by the waitress and then pounded them back like nothing, the next day was a bit different though :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I used to get the hottest ones at Wild Wings, but depending on the location the cooks just roll them in dried pepper dust. So they aren't actually flavourful because the dust just sticks to your lips. That being said though, if the franchise makes them properly I'll crush 2 pounds of their hottest, though usually I like to munch on a couple pounds of Farmer's Daughter instead. Mainly because they are by far the best variety sold there.

I used to get the hottest ones at Wild Wings, but depending on the location the cooks just roll them in dried pepper dust. So they aren't actually flavourful because the dust just sticks to your lips. That being said though, if the franchise makes them properly I'll crush 2 pounds of their hottest, though usually I like to munch on a couple pounds of Farmer's Daughter instead. Mainly because they are by far the best variety sold there.

I'll have to try them!

B)

I'll have to try them!

B)

Give the "Gar Par" a shot as well. I would suggest getting 3 or 4 pounds with a friend and get 1 pound of Farmer's Daughter, 1 pound of Gar Par, 1 pound of Ring of Fire, and 1 pound of Dusty Muckaroo. That is my All-Star lineup!

I realize it's a little late in the season,but who or where can a fellow buy one of these plants in the GTA area? Either the ghost or scorpion?.:worthy:

I also am interested in finding this out!