Lake Nipissing report

cynmar

Arrived at our cottage on Lake Nipissing on Saturday around 2:30 pm. Like most rentals not supposed to move in until around 3 but Bud and Linda our great and we got in a bit early. They are a great couple and run a great outfit. Picture of the cottage

218.jpg

Went out fishing for awhile and checked out the bass spot just at the mouth of the bay. The bass were still there, but with the hot weather , not in the quantity they were there last year. Decided to relax for the rest of the night and looked out later to see this sunset.

170.jpg

Up bright and early the next morning to find the local residents already "flocking around" looking for breakfast.

178.jpg

This was going to be an exploratory day, trying to find where the bass had gone first of all. Did some shallow structure drop shotting, wacky worm , crank bait casting, spinner bait casting and nothing was happening. Decided to try some structure that has 16' on the deep side and 4-8 ' on the other side. This did work for the following.

179.jpg

This area is fairly well built up but still has some lovely scenery and restful areas. The following are right close to the camp.

189.jpg

185.jpg

Another beautiful sunset as the evening rolled around 173.jpg

Wednesday rolled in to be sweltering at least to me, bluebird skies and no wind at all.

190.jpg

We still managed a few bass with a worm harness over some deeper rock beds. It was pretty much the same for the rest of the week. Thursday we tried some 35' water and came up with the following guys.

181.jpg

211.jpg

Late on Thursday, we found out about a small weed bed in the next bay. We went over and tried it with a bobber and worm harness believe it or not and missed a large bass. I went back in on Friday and found the guy there again. He (She) was a beautiful fish.

541648_10151130943382631_849729757_n.jpg

Rest of the day was spent getting ready for the trip home and relaxing with a brew on the lovely little beach.

228.jpg

206.jpg

All in all a lovely vacation.

Forgot to add and I know I mentioned it earlier in the posts, gentleman from the camp caught a 47" 25lb. Musky while fishing for pickeral. He decided to keep it and have it mounted. Could not be persuaded out of it. Do people still mount fish? I thought everything was replicas these days from pictures?

Edited by oldbassguy

Nice report. Love the area and some good fish there. As for your question about the Musky, not a lot of people actually take the fish to mount it. A picture and the measurements and you can have a very nice replica made. Further more if i am not mistaken the regulations say it has to be over 48" to keep a Ski in zone 11.

Edited by BassMan11

Nice report. Love the area and some good fish there. As for your question about the Musky, not a lot of people actually take the fish to mount it. A picture and the measurements and you can have a very nice replica made. Further more if i am not mistaken the regulations say it has to be over 48" to keep a Ski in zone 11.

I'm sorry, I think a fish that size HAS to go back to breed another day. Quick picture and have a replica made. I couldn't convince this guy from the other cabin any different . I hadn't checked the regs and figured it's up to the camp operator to make an issue of it if its under the size limit. Just figure and I operate like this with any species, the healthier , larger fish need to remain in the population to breed another day.:Gonefishing:

Nipfisher, I should have tried to set up a date in North Bay, didn't think we'd be going there but the 19 year old Diva had to get something she had forgotten at home. We could have met up and I wouldn't have had to brave the mall with the girls.:whistling: Nice weather but that Lake does get up when the wind blows from the west doesn't it?

Bill

Nipfisher, I should have tried to set up a date in North Bay, didn't think we'd be going there but the 19 year old Diva had to get something she had forgotten at home. We could have met up and I wouldn't have had to brave the mall with the girls.:whistling: Nice weather but that Lake does get up when the wind blows from the west doesn't it?

Bill

My house is less then 2 minutes from the mall, but we were at the trailer in Sturgeon Falls. Yep she gets nasty when the wind blows the full length of the lake.