sight casting to tailing fish on pristine flats

tomkat

Okay I lied. I was on burlington bay doing beer budget flats fishing. I was using my 9wt fly rod and casting at tailing carp and much to my surprise I caught one! The fish took a wooly bugger and ran deep into my backing before I slowed it down and turned it around.It must have weighed 20 plus lbs and it was a thrill to hear my drag scream like never before. This must be the closest thing to salt water flats fishing we have, and would be great practice for anyone planning a trip south. Shallow sand flats and big wary fish that Im sure run as hard as any bonefish or redfish is a fun combination! Sneakin up using the electric worked pretty good and there was no shortage of them to cast at. I plan on doing more of it.

Sight fishing in the shallow backwaters is my favorite way to fish for carp around here. Wading along the shoreline, keeping close to the bushes so I won't be seen, watching for mud clouds to show me where a carp is feeding. Then toss my bait in close (usually a crayfish) and watching a big dark shape rush in. A big splash, then screaming drag and the fight is on.

Fishing for bonefish on the flats down south somewhere would be good practice for this type of carp fishing. :canadian: