Licence Question?

express168

I was merely making a point that jokes of that type are not publicly acceptable and I won't condone them by keeping silent. Nor should they be something joked about in private, but I'm not about to tell anyone what they should do behind closed doors. This is a public forum, which I hope is accepting of all people. If we can't curse all we like because it alienates people, then how can we make light of rape when tens of thousands of Canadian women experience that truth every year. If you look through the history of repression there have been many jokes aimed at particular races, which if said outloud in public nowadays could border on hate speech. Just because no one stepped up in the past to speak against a joke in bad taste, doesn't mean it was ok then or even now.

I am by no means the "PC Police" as you pointed out. I am just sick and tired of standing by listening to crap like this.

That's probably a better analogy.

I do understand the manner in which it was presented (as a joke) and I can appreciate that neither yourself or your wife were offended by his comment, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others were not. I understand that Terry most likely meant nothing malicious with his analogy, but I am merely stating that what he chose to use was in poor taste and in future that should be taken into consideration.

This was not meant to flame the OPs thread, but it needed to be said.

Some times, ...we need to get a grip!wallbash.gif

It can be a grey area for instance ...there is no possible way a new born baby could operate a fishing rod or fight a fish for that matter but there are two year old children that fish better then some adults...i would think it would depend on the age of the child and his/her capabilities to comprehend what they are doing....now on the other hand...what about "special needs" children or adults that dont require a license ever...does their teacher/support person have to have a license if the person doesnt comprehend what they are doing?

This could have been an interesting subject if it hadnt of been sidetracked...

For what its worth...i read the first three words of Terrys comment and knew the punch line before i actually read the words written because it was what I too was thinking....great minds think alike...even though it was someone elses mind that created the humour...Green Canada the Mods dont allow malicious hurtful words on this forum...you should know that by now...and Im truely sorry if you have had any experience in your life pertaining to rape...

Try to see the lighter sides of things

Cheers!

I've been a registered user here for over 3 years (1/2 the time this forum has been opened) and used to frequent the board to read fishing reports for awhile before I had registered. Sorry I'm not part of the club of users who opened this forum, if that's what you are referring to. I wasn't aware that those are the only people with relevant things to say. Typically, I relish the opportunity to learn from and absorb a lot of the knowledge the users with >10,000 posts offer, free of charge. But, I'm sure you and many others realize that other users with less abundant posts also have vast knowledge banks of fishing and life experiences. I don't own and high horse and never will, but I do own a sense of what's right and wrong. I accept that not all people will agree with me and I'm sure many people on here know Terry personally, I don't, or I would have addressed it more privately.

But GbayGiant, please, explain these ambiguous "a lot more things" to me that I would have understood if I had been here longer than my 3 years so far, mainly so I can better understand your perspective.

I was not talking about being on this board. I meant you have not been around long in general. Had you been around long enough you would understand humour. Like this kind maybe.

Edited by GbayGiant

Wow... going a bit overboard there Terry. Rape in no way should be used in jest or to make your point, nor should it be used to make light of a situation.

That comment was in very poor taste.

There are people out there that do consider all men rapists or potential rapists, we didn't make the world, we just live in it.

I was not talking about being on this board. I meant you have not been around long in general. Had you been around long enough you would understand humour. Like this kind maybe.

John !!! You like Monty Python????clapping.gif I guess yer not that bad after all dudegood.gifw00t.gif