Kicker Motor Brackets

fishnsled

Recently I bought myself another kicker motor (long shaft) for the boat. I figured that I would just throw it on the transom as I did with my 9.9 but the new kicker doesn't fit, transom is too deep. The motor came with a retractable mount/lift that is in OK shape but I'm thinking of getting a new one. After doing some research it seems as if these units by various manufactures can be hit and miss with the quality. Not wanting the motor at the bottom of Lake Ontario, I was looking at a fixed mount bracket. Just wondering what your experiences have been with both or either types and are there any real concerns with either. The kicker I got is a 6hp 2 stroke, so pretty light.

Retractable auxiliary outboard motor lift

Fixed Mount

The other thing that I'm considering if I go with the retractable mount is adding on of these. Adapter Plate for Motor Brackets The reason being that I don't have the motor on the boat all the time and the bracket may get in the way. Anyone use one of these?

Thanks for the input.

I've run a 9.9 OMC 2 stroke off an identical bracket for over 20 years. Mine is of a vintage that the plate that the motor clamps to is thick plywood and I did up a new plywood at one time, I would say it is at the max with a 9.9 2 stroke but you will be fine with a 6hp. Seeing the kicker sits so much lower than the main and farther back of the transom when deployed I could not make a steering rod that attached at the front of the motors, too many bends, opting eventually for an EZ Steer....$$$ :whistling: I did not find the bracket without the motor on to be an issue, also I did not trailer with the kicker on for any long distances, only the few 100 yards from my drive to my local ramp.

I've run a 9.9 OMC 2 stroke off an identical bracket for over 20 years. Mine is of a vintage that the plate that the motor clamps to is thick plywood and I did up a new plywood at one time, I would say it is at the max with a 9.9 2 stroke but you will be fine with a 6hp. Seeing the kicker sits so much lower than the main and farther back of the transom when deployed I could not make a steering rod that attached at the front of the motors, too many bends, opting eventually for an EZ Steer....$$ :whistling: I did not find the bracket without the motor on to be an issue, also I did not trailer with the kicker on for any long distances, only the few 100 yards from my drive to my local ramp.

Thanks for the reply. I've read were guys suggest removing the motor or strapping it down when towing. I was wondering about the steering rod and if it would still work. Those EZ Steer's are pricey. I think with a fixed mount I might be OK for the steering rod as it just sits back a bit further and not down. Thanks again for the input.

I just installed a Panther, retractable kicker mount on a friends boat, as well as the EZ steer set up to link the two together. Its pricey, but really, the best way to go. Works great. The nice thing about the retractable mounts is it puts the kicker far enough back, that its in good water for extra bite when steering in rough/windy conditions. I think the kicker, mounted closer to the transom, would have a hard time making turns in the wind, so close to the main engine. I could be wrong, but my buds set up works slick.

I'd never seen the kicker bracket mounting plate before....not a bad idea either, as long as it will hold up.

S.

I went with the exact setup you are looking at with a 6hp Johnston 2 stroke. I bought the bracket rated for up to 20hp and like it because when you release the lever the springs almost bring the motor up by itself so it is effortless raising the kicker.