Peterborough Bassmasters Adopt-a-Road Project

Dutch

Hi All.

Part of each Bassmasters Club mandate each year is to undertake a conservation project. This year, the Peterborough Bassmasters club adopted a 2.4 k.m stretch of County Road 23. County Road 23 runs between Selwyn and north through Buckhorn for those not familiar with the area. It sees a lot of cottage county traffic and there are a lot of boat launches located directly off the road.

Our adopted stretch is between the 14th line (at upper Chemong Drive) and Mary Nichols Road.

One thing I noticed is that people are more likely to litter on the way to the cottage. The east side of the road was way more chocked full of garbage than the west. In general, the most "common" item was probably plastic water bottles, followed by Timmy's cups. Actually, we probably could have filled 5 garbage bags full of cigarette buts and discarded smoke packages, but we weren't picking those things ups. Disgusting, dirty habit, smoking is.

We ended up with about 30 total bags of garbage and recycling. Due to our efforts the road is much cleaner and the wildlife in the area have a much better chance of not encountering plastic and other garbage.

Signage will be erected at each end of the stretch of road in the near future. One thing I want to pass on due to the experience today - don't throw garbage out your vehicle window, especially on County Road 23.....haha.

Bassmaster Clubs aren't all about fishing (although we do a lot of that), we also try and give back to our community. Later this summer we will have a large presence at the Fishing for Childhood Cancer event in downtown Peterborough on little lake.

I encourage anyone that is interested in getting into a fishing club to look at your local Bassmaster Club

If anyone wants more info on the Peterborough Club, please shoot me a PM.

Good job on the cleanup Dutch and thanks, I'm only a couple miles from there & travel that road regularly.

But isn't it sad that we actually have to clean up after some of the filthy pigs we're forced to share this planet with. I never could understand how anyone could throw their garbage anywhere but in a garbage can.

X2 with the thanks Dutch...

Like Lew, I use that road and Selwyn Road quite often going to Peterborough...

On the drive down to Florida I noticed signs saying $5000 fine for littering...sure made me think twice about littering...unsure.gifgood.gif

Monday is my garbage day.

Every week I top up my can with road side trash gathered from in front of my place on Highway #28 between Peterborough and Bancroft.

If city people come up here for the natural beauty, clean water, wildlife etc. why do they want to soil and spoil it with Tim Horton and McDonald's trash?

The irony is I am 40km from the nearest of these businesses. I call this long distance litter.