Transducer Mounting Plates?

RangerGuy

A few questions on these? My Ranger did not have one and it was a pain when I change to new electronics. I had a bunch

of holes to fix and re-gelcoat to make the transom look good again. This time I'm gonna use one of these plates.

1) Did you just use screws or did you thru bolt it?

2) Did you use the plastic one or make one out of wood?

(Sales guy at LeBarons said to use a 3/4" piece of wood and seal it instead.)

Thanks!. I'd really appreciate some pics.. I really don't want to drill holes if I don't have to...

Don't worry about two holes; you'll only need to do it once. Mask off the location leaving 1/4 to 3/8 around the plate. Using 3M 5200, smear the back of the plate and slap it on the boat. Run your 2 screws in and smooth out the excess adhesive with your finger. Once your happy with the bead of adhesive, remove the masking tape.

IMG-20120522-00153.jpg

That's what I was orignally thinking..then I thought I wonder if that voids the hull warranty because I have screwed something into it? I don't have the boat yet to check the warranty fine print.

I need to find a dark one black or brown color plastic. It'll look better on a camo boat :)

Edited by RangerGuy

Here is mine:

WP_000206.jpg

As you can see it is different than what you see on most boats out there. More work but I love how it looks ;-)

I use screws and 5200 as well.

Sorry for the cell phone photo.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Thanks guys

I like how you ran the cables icefisherman. They'll never get caught on anything like that and be more protected from sheet ice late in duck season :)

Driving home from training my dogs tonight. I saw a big rig with a few brand new Lunds on the way to a dealer.

I wanna call and see if mine was dropped off hahaha! This is true pain!!! haha!

For the piece of plastic everybody has attached to their hull you can check out P&A Plastics Inc. They will cut out whatever size piece or colour plastic you want and they can also finish the edges with a bullnose (or other pattern). They even have UV resistant plastic, which would be a must for this type of application, especially in the long run. Mine has held up good for 4 years now. I warn it wasnt that cheap though I think I payed 15-20$ for a 4"x12"x1/2" piece of plastic, but I did get it bullnosed all the way around. Its a good idea to get the edges finished to avoid injury when swimming near the boat, preventing transducer wire from being cut or better yet losing a fish because the sharp edge cut your line. I screwed and siliconed my hull.

http://www.paplastics.com/

Edited by Fish4Eyes