Just bought my first fish finder

Toad Hunter

Hey everyone, So thru a stack of gift cards held onto from the holidays, I have finally bought my first fish finder. (granted I only got my first very own boat last fall :rolleyes:). I bought the Lowrance Mark 5X from Canadian Tire and the web site has no user reviews- So I was wondering how many of you have bought or used this tool, and what you all have thought of it... and also any issues I may run into with it... be it before,while or after I mount it in my little "tin rocket" lol any feed back welcome and appreciated.

On a side note, I just bought my own trailer up in Haliburton after spending my first 20 summers of my life there..So after a 10 yr hiatus, I am back on Kashagawigamog and look forward to trying to catch every fish in its waters at least twice and move on to the "other 4" :thumbsup_anim: - with a little help from my new toy ;)

Hey Toad Hunter

I have viewed, but can't help you with that specific device.

I also wanted to see what kind of reviews were given.

Most fishfinders are useful for finding the depths and dropoffs and work fine if you don't expect too much from them.

I have a low end lowrance finder and it's suitable for my needs. They have a good name.

Hey Toad Hunter,

I looked at that unit last year, the price was pretty good for the features and wattage, but decided to go a level up with the Elite 5. I have been pretty happy with it, no issues. Hope it serves you well!

Peter

uh oh.... from the BPS reviews, it looks like I should have held on to a few more of those gift cards :whistling::wallbash:

lol, maybe, maybe not. Depends on a few factors. Maybe it's a perfect unit for how you fish/where you fish? Learn it, get out there and use it, and maybe you'll love it. If not, next time maybe you'll do abit of research first and make a better decision. If it's great, then thats awesome! If it sucks, at least your not out thousands of dollers!

Good luck!Gonefishing.gif

I was originally going in for the humminbird 570 that they had on sale. But I went in the last day of the sale and wouldn't you know it, sold out. So ya after all the gift cards, I suppose regardless of how it works out for me, I can't really complain. (only ran my $26 - the taxes on the 199.oo unit) :thumbsup_anim: . I basically plan on using it for figuring out depths so I can plan my attack accordingly. (** I also found out the temp sensor was sold individually ** :wallbash:) After all, those 5 lakes have a lot of water to cover in a tin can and would be nearly impossible to figure out with out knowing what I'm fishing in as far as depth lol.

-- on another side note, anyone looking to get rid of a 8 - 9.9 hp motor ? I found one on kijunky that they said they would hold for me, only to turn around and sell it over the long weekend before i could pick it up (beer money maybe? :sarcasm:) im in Kitchener, but travel up Haliburton way regularly so would consider making a detour if a nice offer came my way ?

I grew up fishing for bass and eyes on the same lake with a fair amount of success even before I got into the sport "religiously" , but I want to track down the 'skis.. I'm told they are down the end closer to Haliburton (where I managed to catch my only ever musky while pitching into the weeds in the narrows near the beer store (to those familiar with the waters) (I might point out it was a mere 22" :P - but of course later that day it was 40 lol). So as I said before I'm really hoping to be using it for depth and (with a little luck- structure- wanna find those wind swept points with the "steps" etc)

yup sensitivity, colorline, surface clarity, ping rate - in spite of the bad reviews I really look forward to getting back up there now with this new toy and with a little luck, being able to post some great reports (I know u all LOVE those B))

yup sensitivity, colorline, surface clarity, ping rate - in spite of the bad reviews I really look forward to getting back up there now with this new toy and with a little luck, being able to post some great reports (I know u all LOVE those B))

You'll be fine. Just allow yourself more time on the water to adjust things and get used to the settings.

any recommendations on marine batteries I should look into ? (Keep in mind I have to keep this whole boat project on low budget with a little one expected in the fall and to not upset mother bear).

I don't need one for electric start, just one to run my finder, and some lights ? I'm hoping to keep within a 75-130 range.

the finder I found out is not the pro just the basic 5x,1600w ptp 200w rms. requirement 10-18 volts dc (current drain of .25A

and i know i need to pick up a 3 A auto fuse.... any ideas ?