Optima Batteries

Doctrt

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for an Optima (1125 mca, 900 cca, 75 ah, 155 rc). I need a second one for my 24v trolling motor and the Nautilus batteries just aren't cutting it. I've found that the one Optima I do have holds a charge for a very long time. Any suggestions on where in the eastern GTA I can find them would be appreciated. I know the have them at BPS but I'm located in Whitby so the further east the better (btw, none at Sail). Furthermore any suggestions for comparable batteries would also be great. Thanks guys.

Tim

I have seen them at Wal Mart before. BPS currently has them on sale so it might be worth the drive. The advertisement is on page 31 in this BPS flyer.

Wow - $260 for one battery is pretty steep. I just bought 2 lead acid 31DC batteries from Peterborough Battery for about the same price. If you are interested in driving to Peterborough, those guys will really help you out.

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for an Optima (1125 mca, 900 cca, 75 ah, 155 rc). I need a second one for my 24v trolling motor and the Nautilus batteries just aren't cutting it. I've found that the one Optima I do have holds a charge for a very long time. Any suggestions on where in the eastern GTA I can find them would be appreciated. I know the have them at BPS but I'm located in Whitby so the further east the better (btw, none at Sail). Furthermore any suggestions for comparable batteries would also be great. Thanks guys.

Tim

costco sells them

I know everyone has their own reasons :whistling: but for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would buy Optima batteries. When you sit down and figure out the cost of the battery versus the actual output (capacity) of the battery compared to the standard lead/acid deep cycle or starting type, an Optima costs you at least twice as much. As for the arguement of being able to mount them up side down, not too many boats out there do barrel rolls with any finesse.

I know everyone has their own reasons whistling.gif but for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would buy Optima batteries. When you sit down and figure out the cost of the battery versus the actual output (capacity) of the battery compared to the standard lead/acid deep cycle or starting type, an Optima costs you at least twice as much. As for the arguement of being able to mount them up side down, not too many boats out there do barrel rolls with any finesse.

I agree with you; Optima batteries don't make sense in terms of $/A-h. Or lifespan. I've had some terrible experiences with them on bigger boats and in cars. Personally, I wouldn't buy one again, but to each his own.

Having said that, I still think that gel cells, and AGMs, can be very good in the right place. Quality AGMs, like Lifecycle Batteries from Concorde, make for one of the best house batteries for a cruising boat that often charges with a generator. And gels are good for high discharge rates and can be mounted on their sides, which is really good for adding a bow thruster on a small cruiser or ragbagger. But for inland lake fishing boats like we have here - not very often do they make sense.

I know everyone has their own reasons :whistling: but for the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would buy Optima batteries. When you sit down and figure out the cost of the battery versus the actual output (capacity) of the battery compared to the standard lead/acid deep cycle or starting type, an Optima costs you at least twice as much. As for the arguement of being able to mount them up side down, not too many boats out there do barrel rolls with any finesse.

When you're running batteries like I do (like most don't) in high winds, run pretty much constantly, from 5 am to 9 pm, output is everything. Typical deep cycle batteries just can't stand up to this type of use. If I can spend a hundred dollars more and be sure that it's going to push my boat when I need it to, I think that's money well spent. Thanks for all the responses guys.

T

When you're running batteries like I do (like most don't) in high winds, run pretty much constantly, from 5 am to 9 pm, output is everything. Typical deep cycle batteries just can't stand up to this type of use. If I can spend a hundred dollars more and be sure that it's going to push my boat when I need it to, I think that's money well spent. Thanks for all the responses guys.

T

Your money your choice,, like I said, it's the capacity in the battery that pushes you around, not the dollars.

There are lthium ion ones about to come out. They are 900$ right now but expected to fall dramatically in the next year. They weigh only 20% of typical batteries and go and last like snot apperantly. That might be the bereak through that everyone is waiting for.

I know a couple guys on the BASS tour are using them this year as test platforms.

Darren