Fish Stock/Crappie

I thought I'd post this before I go on an adventure making my own fish stock for the first time ever.

Since that other thread really grossed me out, I wanna make some instead of buy some (even though it's not fish sauce, thanks BB!)

I have some really nice crappie to fillet up today, and I wanna make a stock, about a gallon. The plan is to use it later on for some walleye risotto.

If anyone has done this before, id would be nice to get some tips on seasoning etc.

Since I've never done it before, I was going to follow a simple recipe off the internet, then see how it turns out. Then I can alter it from there if needed.

Thanks in advance for any input thumbsup_anim.gif

Fish stock for soups and chowders is simple. First fillet fish and set them aside for later. Remove head and tails, and place them in a 2gal pot of water. Add 1/2 tbsp salt, 6-8 whole allspice beads, chopped celery, parsley, onion.

Set to a low boil for 1-2 hours, or reduced to half of volume. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, cool, package and freeze.

Fish heads always make the best stock, as my Gram always said.

Fish stock for soups and chowders is simple. First fillet fish and set them aside for later. Remove head and tails, and place them in a 2gal pot of water. Add 1/2 tbsp salt, 6-8 whole allspice beads, chopped celery, parsley, onion.

Set to a low boil for 1-2 hours, or reduced to half of volume. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, cool, package and freeze.

Fish heads always make the best stock, as my Gram always said.

Thanks dood!

Is there a reason why not to add the entire fish(sans gills/fillets)???

Thanks dood!

Is there a reason why not to add the entire fish(sans gills/fillets)???

If you add the flesh from the start, you will have mush by the time you are done. Better to have nice chunks of fish in your chowder instead of mush.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDtUzRIG6I?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Get this tune out of your brain.LOL

If you add the flesh from the start, you will have mush by the time you are done. Better to have nice chunks of fish in your chowder instead of mush.

after I fillet them there will be no meat on them(for the most part).

I'll heed your advice anyhow, just getting things going now thumbsup_anim.gif

The Crappie fillets is getting fried up tonight for supper.

The fish stock is for risotto at a later date

Edited by manitoubass2

Fish stock is just a broth, a cooking base for adding other ingredients too.

For me, it will be the liquid part of the risotto.

But yes, I know it's just a broth, and can have many other uses.

Smells good in the house right now, can't wait to use it (the fish stock)