Air Cochrane

dheitzner

Hello all, been a while since i last posted a question here, but I saw another thread on Air Cochrane, so here goes:

I'm heading to Magiskan Lake with Air Cochrane June 9, for a weeks fishing. I haven't been on a fly-in before, so i'm totally green going in. My questions are:

1 - general fly-in info, such as things to bring that you didn't on your first fly-in, lures, # of rods(4 too many?) etc. i realize that at some point i'm likely to go "darn!!! i should have brought_________", but i'd like to keep those experiences to a minimum, while keeping my luggage to 80lbs.

2 - info specific to magiskan lake. depth, type of structure, lures, colours, water colour, etc. we're going to be getting a package from Mark with a bunch of info, but i figured i'd ask around here while i'm waiting for it :whistling:

also, what about purifying water? drops? filter? tablets? boiling? combination of all???

i can't wait for this trip, but it's coming up fast and i want to be ready to go!!!

thanks in advance for the info,

darcy

We've been on 6 with Mark, one time they couldn't pick us up for 2 days so we learned that you can not bring enough food and libations.

a bug bomb for the out house I always found made me feel a little better from the start. I always bring 4 set ups. Fire starter doesn't hurt, the wood laying around is always wet.

It's easier to pay the extra money than not bring something.

Fished alot of their lakes but not the one you are going to.

We have started to go to western ontario and find for the money you get showers and indoor plumbing and you are just as far north and the fishing is great.

i have been to magaskin six times. magaskin lake itself is about 12 feet at the deepest. just like a bowl. fishing for pics is good right out front of the cottage. there are rapids at the end of magaskin with some 20ft holes, one right at the beaver house. good pic and pike fishing if the water is high and the rapids are rolling. at these rapids try walking to the top of them(2 minute walk) and fish from shore, one trip we caught about 80 pike up there, the biggest 20lbs. hopefully you have a depth finder because there are some nice holes 20 and 30ft in the river between magaskin and mikwam. when you head into this river go around two or three bends and there is a 25ft hole. caught lots of pike pics and a few sturgeon, especially around 7pm on. also in this river about a football field before getting to mikwam lake there is another 20 ft hole. it is right at hunting stand on your left side. great fishing lots of pics. a few big pike. i have lots more info Ifyou want m. you can email or even call me. mark has used me as a reference a few times.

minnows are probably a good idea, but we usually just brought in worms 1dozen each person per day. if you bring pepperettes save the skin incase you run out of worms. jigs and twister tails for pics, worm harnesses. sturgeon we caught them all jigging for pics biggest 35lbs . so i would have a braided line on your jig rod. I usually bring 5 rods and reels. broke one last year and lost one, to many beers. for the pike, spinners spoons jigs, the usual nothing to fancy, williams half and half whitefish works well. just wondering if anyone is staying at mikwam camp. it is a much better cabin. anyways i can give you more info on mikwam, brailey and the other river if you like. some guys ventured up to snare but never had much luck. so much fishing on your stretch i would stay put. but brailey is worth the walk, thelast 2 years the biggest pike came from there. one afternoon my boat caught fifty pike in 3HRS. In one big hole.

We are going to edgar june 2nd, 20th time with mark and cochrane air.. I never fished that lake, but i have fished floodwood, twopeak, snare, and another lake on that river system. Good fishing every year. We take in alot of live bait, as i think it helps out alot.. BUY ROADRUNNER JIG HEADS... The blade helps out alot too on those jigs.. We always take more into the bush than we need. We plan a 7 day dinner plan. Steaks, chops, pasta, chicken, etc.. But we also eat fish everyday. This year I am going to make a different walleye dish everyday.... Take lots of beer. We take a depth finder for each boat, basically to find the depth.... You will get weighed before you fly in, but usuallly mark is pretty fare about it.. Take a good rain suit, bug nets(we have full bug suit , so you can wear shorts under the pants, coils for the camp, etc.. We take in all of our drinking water.. Basically we say" its a vacation, the h ell with the weight"...... You will have a great time, its addicting!!!! If you need any info, pm me....

PS...Rent a satellite phone, you never know what may happen.. 60 bucks for the full week is worth it....

.... Take lots of beer.

LOL! Some good advice beerman. Can never have enough on a week long fly-in :D

In all seriousness, you guys have pretty much covered everything. Especially having someone like jnic who's been into the lake 6 times...now that's a goldmine of info there!

Cheers darcy, I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

400 is about right.. We usually have 6 guys, so we go in on the otter. This plane holds most everything we need, untill tuesday when they check on us.. Question about Edgar lake??? Are there any rivers to fish on this lake???

i think that there is a river that feeds into kesagami lake. i don't think they want you on kesagami but.

400 is about right.. We usually have 6 guys, so we go in on the otter. This plane holds most everything we need, untill tuesday when they check on us.. Question about Edgar lake??? Are there any rivers to fish on this lake???

i think that there is a river that feeds into kesagami lake. i don't think they want you on kesagami but.

I believe I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Edgar coughed up a 48" as it's biggest known pike. Wouldn't be hard to believe as it does connect to Kesagami by about 3km of creek, and where that creek enters the lake is near a large shallow spawning bay for pike and the Kesagami river for spawning eyes.

I had looked at Edgar before and for it's size and location you have great odds of catching great fish. There wasn't much snow at all up here this winter so water levels may be a little lower than the normal. The season should be about par though as ice-out is later this year than last, and, without the snow to insulate the lake ice this year, that ice seemed to freeze good and thick.

One thing to these lakes when hunting big pike in the early spring is, large baits will work and you should try them first always for bigger fish, but, early season baitfish are smallish but abundant, and so, like here on the Moose in the warming back bays you can find a good number of largish pike taking frequent small meals of fish like dace. Don't be afraid to burn small spoons and #4&5 in-lines just across the surface.

Tonnes of voles and mice last fall. TONNES. It was that odd 7 year cycle and they were everywhere. Brought lots of hawks and owls into the area. If many vermin still survived the winter, think topwaters of the like as those little blind buggahs that tend to fall into water alot.

Thanks Moose. Question?? Edgar is said to be 6-7 mile long. There has to be more rivers and creeks on that lake, right?? We fish alot for walleye. I suppose the walleye fishing on edgar is great.. Here is a top water lure I used on yesterday lake. Caught 15 pike in a row on these things..

Top water Lure

Just the one creek out/in - not sure. The whole region is tiaga, kinda skeg like, a sponge but more elevated than the skeg. Run off isn't as quick in many parts, and so that's why I believe some lakes hold what they've got so well.

Same lure but in black and silver has worked well for lake eyes in the region.

Edgar should have a very subtle point about halfway up the lake on the west side. Fishing can be good there as well as right out in front of the cabins.