Sucker minnows

I'd like to try float fishing gators and bass this summer on those lazier days, I would think sucker minnows would be the most reasonable choice of bait however I have never seen them in a bait shop? Does anyone know how and where to catch/buy them? Also I'd like to try catching bait, how should I go about baiting, everyone seems to have different theories?

that place on the 400 just north of Toronto, Rack and Reel in Barrie, Jacob's on Hw 11 just south of Orillia all carry suckers. Also, when I lived in Toronto there was a place on Jane just north of Lawrence that had then (Cousin George's I think it was called)

Get a big bobber, a 3-0 or 4-0 quality hook, stick the sucker under and thru the dorsal fin (middle upper fin), set your depth and dunk it and wait, when one takes the bait, count to 10 or even 15 before setting the hook (a buddy of mine lights up a cigarette in prep for the fight). It's a very very good technique when fishing from shore in the early season (up till the end of May or so). And pike fishing isn't that great in the Kawartha's other than Canal Lake. You need to go up to Lake Muskoka, Lake of Bays, Lake Rosseau for some decent pike. Georgian Bay is good too (Honey Harbour or Pointe au Baril) but you need to know the spots and the water if fishing from a boat. The local bait shops can be invaluable for that info.