Trolling bags/Drift socks

waso

This is one of the great mysteries of Lake Erie Walleyes :wallbash: If you fish out of Port Colborne, Point Abino, basically anywhere east of Port Maitland, worm harnesses and crankbaits at 1.5 to 2 mph is what they want. Move to anywhere west of Long Point and they get them on a spoon bite at 2.5 to 3 mph., the east end this result in washed spoons.

My theory is seeing there are lots of bows at the west end and they need to pick up speed to get anything to eat.

Rumour has it if you fish worm harnesses at the west end at 1.5 you will fill the boat with sheephead too :rofl2:

Varying speeds and having to get down to 1.5 is another good argument for having trolling bags to slow down. I've ordered the large bags from cabelas because of the weight system and they had 5 bucks off each bag if u buy 2. We'll see how it goes.

This is one of the great mysteries of Lake Erie Walleyes :wallbash: If you fish out of Port Colborne, Point Abino, basically anywhere east of Port Maitland, worm harnesses and crankbaits at 1.5 to 2 mph is what they want. Move to anywhere west of Long Point and they get them on a spoon bite at 2.5 to 3 mph., the east end this result in washed spoons.

My theory is seeing there are lots of bows at the west end and they need to pick up speed to get anything to eat.

Rumour has it if you fish worm harnesses at the west end at 1.5 you will fill the boat with sheephead too :rofl2:

I fished West of Long Point but with stick baits (usually Cordell Ripplin Redfins). ;)

Welcome aboard.

I use Ikea bags for drift socks on my boat. But I don't use them for trolling, just to slow my drift. Not sure how they would hold up in the long run. They open up very large when drifting.

Edited by N.A.W

Kicker is the way to go running a big motor that slow tends to foul em up a bit. Used pails too wormdunker. Works good.be Careful of the prop :)

Kicker will have to wait a year or 2, the new boat has bled me dry. The bags will have to fill the gap until then. I'll make sure i give the motor a good run periodically throughout the day.

With a peace of rope tied through both the handles, right in the middle of the handle where you would put your hand. I've tried getting fancy, and rig up a fancy mount and float, but the reality is, they work great just using a peace of rope though the handles.

With a peace of rope tied through both the handles, right in the middle of the handle where you would put your hand. I've tried getting fancy, and rig up a fancy mount and float, but the reality is, they work great just using a peace of rope though the handles.

If you have 2 bags tied off on either side to slow your troll down will you be doing any damage to the motor by making it work harder against the additional drag?