Couple of questions

Big Cliff

A friend has a leaking tap. We have changed the washer (black rubber thing) that seems to be the seal that should stop the water. Didn't work! I think is is the seat that is the problem and I seem to remember a long time ago using a tool like a hex key to remove and replace a seat. I'm just not sure and don't want to go causing more problems. Am I on the right track? Is the seat something that CTC would have? I have no idea of the brand or anything, all help would be appreciated.

Next question: I have a friend looking at a pontoon boat, It's about 28' long, 8' wide, three pontoons (aluminum) A tandum trailer, (axles look quite heavy)and it has a 1996 Mariner (Maximum) (Magnum) (It's grey I have CRS LOL) Package seems to be old but in nice shape. I haven't done any testing on the motor yet but would before advising him to buy it. Just trying to get some idea of a fair price. The pontoons are all welded aluminum, they have to be worth something alone.

Again, all help much appreciated!

A friend has a leaking tap. We have changed the washer (black rubber thing) that seems to be the seal that should stop the water. Didn't work! I think is is the seat that is the problem and I seem to remember a long time ago using a tool like a hex key to remove and replace a seat. I'm just not sure and don't want to go causing more problems. Am I on the right track? Is the seat something that CTC would have? I have no idea of the brand or anything, all help would be appreciated.

Next question: I have a friend looking at a pontoon boat, It's about 28' long, 8' wide, three pontoons (aluminum) A tandum trailer, (axles look quite heavy)and it has a 1996 Mariner (Maximum) (Magnum) (It's grey I have CRS LOL) Package seems to be old but in nice shape. I haven't done any testing on the motor yet but would before advising him to buy it. Just trying to get some idea of a fair price. The pontoons are all welded aluminum, they have to be worth something alone.

Again, all help much appreciated!

wish i had a answer on the water.. think the header will be replaced this weekend...THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

I don't think it is the header, I do believe it is the seat that is the problem! I'm just not sure that we can just replace the seat. If not, it means replacing the whole valve assy. which means a hole in the wall!

You are a friend!It's a given! :whistling:

Edited by Big Cliff

Cliff, on the plumbing issue... I have seen some with removable seats and some without. Knowing the make, or a photo might help. There's also a simple tool available for about $15 to grind the seat. It is a T-handle, with a resurfacing tool. Might save a wall repair.

200_reseating_tool.jpg

Sorry - no idea what the 'toon is worth. If it's the one we spoke of on the weekend, that's a BIG pontoon boat!

Edited by whiskywizard

Cliff, if it's bathtub spout yes the seat can be replaced.I have changed one. There is a tool at CT that will take it out and put it back in.

The thing looks like a pyramid on one end and when you insert it you will find the right size to turn it. I have one but my camera is out of commission right now.

Hope this helps.

Cliff can you post a picture of the faucet please. The seat is specific to the faucet and depending on the seat will decide if it is a hex head or a square shank being the most popular. Since there are only two components that control the water the seat and the washer. The stem is more of a mechanical press on the older faucet that can need replacing but only after a seat and washer fail. A photo of the stem will also make it easier to I.D. the unit.

Art

Thanks Art, I'll see if I can get a photo of it this evening. It is in a shower stall and I looked for a name or model number but couldn't see one.

Thanks Mike.

As far as re grinding the seat, that might also be an option, I'd rather replace it if we can.

I had a leaky shower tap as well and it was fixed by replacing the cartridge inside the handle of the tap. Is it a single tap which controls the hot/cold?? If so, just get the make and model and grab a new cartridge and it'll fix your problem. I also fixed my leaky bathroom faucet this way.

Cheers,

Colin