Boat Tax.

Court R

Hey guys have a question, a little while ago I got in the mail a form about paying tax on my used boat I bought a few years ago, not sure why I recieved this a couple years after I bought my boat but I seem too of lost the paper about who I would pay and send the money too, any body know?

Thanks

I need to know the same info.... I got the same letter... but I never had to pay tax on my boat because it was scrap. So I called and they told me to mail a letter back explaining that ???? pretty slack terms if you ask me.

I think they were just sending every registered used boat this letter and see how much money they can get back !

I think they were just sending every registered used boat this letter and see how much money they can get back !

I got the same letter 3 times over the course of several years after purchasing a new boat back in '99. I sent them a copy of my bill of sale twice but ignored the 3rd letter and haven't heard back.

Nothing but a typical government fiasco.

Unfortunately I can't remember who I sent them to...sorry.

Edited by lew

the letter is very common. without a system in place to collect the tax on used boats the govt tracks the tax in this strange fashion.

if you have misplaced the original i wouldn't sweat it they will send you another one!!

it seems particularly odd for those that imported their boats - tax was paid at the border, the trailer goes thru the RIV process, there is no dodging the tax at the border...

so i phoned asking what document they are requesting. THE GOVT wants a copy of the paperwork ISSUED BY THE GOVT to prove the taxes were paid.

i find this a little ridiculous....i submitted thousands of dollars in tax, it was placed in the record and a receipt was issued. now i have to send them THEIR OWN RECEIPT back to prove it happened.

i see this no differently than the future shop calling up Lew and saying

"hey fella, remember that TV you bought in 1999 - can you send us the receipt we are not sure if you paid for it"

Still the best way to deal with the govt is just give them what they want hopefully it goes away.

Tell them you lost the boat and can't remember what lake you launched it on....but it had lots of water everywhere and there were pine trees along the shoreline and then ask if they might know where it is and how you can get it back.... :whistling:

Or you can just send me the money and I'll waist it on something.... :thumbsup_anim:

Ive received the same letter and i wasnt too happy about it only because i was very specific as too how I purchased the trailer :whistling: The boat was infact a freebee, they have accepted it, registered it and have copies of everything at service canada. Sooooo! On my part, they can prove me wrong, taxes were payed on the trailer in full. IT WAS ACCEPTED :glare: MONEY HUNGRY!!!!!!!

Enough said !