Just another Canadian Fishing Story....

So my grandpa and I's first time fishing Wintering Lake in Geraldton we were catching decent amounts trolling rapala husky jerks and dardevils. We got back to the lodge and Dennis the owner asked us how we did. We had a little conversation and we told him what we were using. He had been fishing those lakes for years and told us that we will catch triple the amount of fish by tying any jig straight to the line without a swivel. We highly doubted that we would do much better with that technique. He said then just hook a minnow on and anchor on any weed bed. So we tried that the next day and he was right. We caught close to triple the amount of fish just jigging going from weed bed to weed bed. You just gotta love a nice relaxing fishing trip in northern ontario. I guess nothing beats wisdom when it comes to fishingGonefishing.gifMost of the timewhistling.gif

Edited by michigander fishermen

Wintering is absolutely my favorite lake. We about reached our two person limit on both pike (about 16-37in) and walleye(about 12-28IN.) but mostly nice size eaters. We caught fish on everything. One of my favorite experiences their was launching our boats in a small river with pencil weeds on both sides that we would drive down about a 1/4 mile to get to the main lake. As my grandpa and I were launching our boat our buddy Mike was in his boat with his friend Stan. Well long story short mike was just taking a cast while he was waiting to make sure his equipment was working properly and just for fun. He had a HUGE hit that caught him off guard and he set the hook. It took him a little while but he caught a 43 in Pike.....Wintering has such great scenery and is an outstanding fishery.Gonefishing.gif

Just googled it and their website says they're closed for 2012. renovating maybe ?

The lodge was unfortunately sold to a guy from Minnesota and there was some complications where he may not be able to open the lodge. Were going to Pasha Lake Cabins which is nearby but I'm sure that we will get up early and take a trip over to Wintering at least once.