GPS choice...waddaya think folks.

limeyangler

Hi all,

I posted some time ago that i was in the market for a GPS.

I broke an old one last year, bought another which i though was similar at half price (new etrex legend) only to realise the previous owner had uploaded better maps onto that unit than the preloaded basemaps the new unit came with.

With the prices of maps and the memory limitations of the legend series i thought i'd be better off returning the etrex legend and upgrading.

Since i gave up smoking and Red Bull energy drinks....i have a bit more cash and figured i only really want to buy a GPS once (or once every 10 years :whistling: ) so make it a good one while i have the cash. I have $600.

I flirted with the idea of just waiting a bit longer and getting a HDS-5 Gen 2/chartplotter, but figured i could use a handheld too, and since i do ok with my trusty X67c i decided to save again and make that my next gift to myself.

So basically i looked at the top of the line for 3 top brands....Garmin, Delorme, and Lowrance.

I was impressed by the Delorme PN-60w, innovative and lots....i mean LOTS...of preloaded maps (apparantly maps is what Delorme do), also it took Navionics chips. however, the innovative products that went with it (emergency GPS texting service) was expensive, and it quite a few negative reviews. I think what put me off in the end was it had the smallest screen size and my eyesight is getting worse and worse.

In my previous post many of you replied that Navionics chips were best, and since i already love Lowrance(my x67c rocks) i looked at their new Endura series...in particular the Endura Sierra. The specs are right up there with the top Garmins and Delorme and also had touchscreen functions and buttons. And of course was navionics capable. However, reading reviews from a large number of sites, this unit faired the worse of the three, lots of compatability issues, software, firmware, customer service issues...etc...etc. Put me off big time.

That brings me to the Garmin. Lots of good reviews about 62 series. Only nagging problem was that the garmins wont do Navionics. However looking at the Inland lakes chip garmin has its not bad at all coverage wise, and what i really want on my handheld is not so much lake depths (i'll get a Lowrance HDS with Navionics for that) but the Offroad Mapbooks for Ontario.....THAT ROCKS!

So....based on all that i think i have decided on a Garmin GPSMap 62sc. I dont really want a camera, but it was the model with the highest internal memory capacity(3.5Gb) that did not come preloaded with expensive USA Topo that i would rarely use. I will almost be able to afford both the canada lakes Chip and Backroad Mapbook Chip in my budget (i am about $60 over budget) but figure i will have a kick ass unit with lots of lakes and all the tiny trails i need to find my way to some pretty remote ones too.

Basically i am laying out my thought process for myself before i spend $600+.

Anyone care to add anything here....all comments welcome...even if i dont agree with them :thumbsup_anim:

Garmin 60CSx. There's some newer models out with fancier graphics and such, but my 60CSx does everything and more than I need. If you buy a Garmin and need some maps Simon, let me know. I have just the map for you if you want tiny trails.

I've got the 62s, 2gig of internal memory is more then enough for me.

Thanks Bill, will think about that for sure...especially since my local Walmart actually has that one in stock! At a really good price. However, it just seems that to double that capacity it is only $15 bucks or so more...with a camera thrown in...a pretty $hitty camera granted...but a fun thing to have for not much more.

How do you rate the unit? Good buy?

Garmin 60CSx. There's some newer models out with fancier graphics and such, but my 60CSx does everything and more than I need. If you buy a Garmin and need some maps Simon, let me know. I have just the map for you if you want tiny trails.

Awesome Dan! When i get whatever unit you'll have to show me how to use it.... over lunch?

I fell head over heals for the 60csx when i first started looking into GPS 4 years ago...then i got given the old etrex and stopped looking..but now i need one made sense to go for the latest....and all the reviews say it is a good upgrade on the csx...so must be good!

Wow, for $15 more, I'd probably get the extra memory as well, lol! I thought it was a lot more then that.. I love the unit, picks up satellites super quick, very accurate, no issues at all with it. I'd definitely recommend it.. I've used the 60CSX as well, it's also a great unit. I've actually got a fully working one in the kitchen drawer with a busted screen! Garmin wants $150 to fix it...

Wow, for $15 more, I'd probably get the extra memory as well, lol! I thought it was a lot more then that.. I love the unit, picks up satellites super quick, very accurate, no issues at all with it. I'd definitely recommend it.. I've used the 60CSX as well, it's also a great unit. I've actually got a fully working one in the kitchen drawer with a busted screen! Garmin wants $150 to fix it...

Yeah GPScity has the 62sc for $399 and the 62s for $379. Walmart has the 62s for $389......so for a few extra bucks you get 3.5GB and a camera.

With your endorsement and Danc's its just a matter of price now i think....GPSCity is the best so far...Ebay is expensive on this one...Amazon is ridiculous for this one too.

Hey Simon,

I got the gps map 78s and love it. Memory cards are so cheap that I would say grab a few. I keep different maps on each one.(Although I am told there is a way to keep multiple maps on the same card)

Lebaron has the 62s for $349.

Lebaron

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Simon,

I got the gps map 78s and love it. Memory cards are so cheap that I would say grab a few. I keep different maps on each one.(Although I am told there is a way to keep multiple maps on the same card)

Lebaron has the 62s for $349.

Lebaron

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the reply Mark. Looks like the specs for your unit and the 62s are the same. I have now had you and Bill say that the 1.7GB internal is good enough. The only difference between your units is nautical maps preloaded, outdoor GPS games(whatever those are?)and the fact that the 78 floats.

It just so happens that Walmart here in town has those too....so got a hands on look at one yesterday morning.

The floating part is what has my interest....lol...with my luck.

Couple of questions Mark.....what maps have you got on the internal and what other maps do you use/recommend. I did a bit more research and the Garmin Lake Maps get a really $hitty press, especially for NWO.

Thanks in advance.

As dan said the 60csx is a great unit you can get blue charts and land contours as well to upload

I use for deer hunting and blue charts for fishing

It even has the green 911 signs that are used in country rds and cottagers if front of driveways

I got mine from gpscity.ca

Also bought an extended warranty with replacement

The chat of unit was cheaper by a lot than big chain stores in Toronto area

Take a look at radioworld.ca They have the a 78 bundle for 350.00... Bundle includes GPSMap 78, Garmin G2 BlueChart (010-C1019-20), 12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter Cable(010-10085-00), Marine Mount(010-11441-00)

or the stand alone 78 unit is 265.00

Radioworld also has the 62s listed @ 349.00