Redhorse Rendezvous

niagarangler89

I generally fish for those suckers up at Beaverton . . . . . I didn't do too well this year . . . . only got one about 3 pounds. They're just in from Lake Simcoe and also average 3 - 4 pounds with some H U G E ones 2 - 3 pounds more. On a small panfish rod & 4 pound line, they can give you a helluva tussle! What large body of water do they come from out there, Lake Erie? Ya never see 'em anyplace in the summer & fall, or ice fishin?' They are also great to eat outta the cold water . . . . if ya can stand forever picking all the tiny bones out of 'em.

To tell you the truth, I'd only be guessing if I said where they came from. I do know that the Thames flows into Lake St. Clair--the biggest body of water it's connected to. The three main dams (Fanshawe, Wildwood, and Pittock) on the Thames are all upstream from where I fish, so I guess it's theoretically possible for them to make it all the way into London, but that'd be one hell of a journey! I'm sure there are other downstream barriers that I'm unaware of, but I'm guessing they probably have ladders or some other way for fish to pass through. I know there is a smaller dam downstream in London called Springbank Dam, but they open it up during the fall and winter, allowing the migratory fish to move upstream. I guess I never really put much thought into it, but now you've got me thinking!blink.gif Possibly just some really big residents?

I generally fish for those suckers up at Beaverton . . . . . I didn't do too well this year . . . . only got one about 3 pounds. They're just in from Lake Simcoe and also average 3 - 4 pounds with some H U G E ones 2 - 3 pounds more. On a small panfish rod & 4 pound line, they can give you a helluva tussle! What large body of water do they come from out there, Lake Erie? Ya never see 'em anyplace in the summer & fall, or ice fishin?' They are also great to eat outta the cold water . . . . if ya can stand forever picking all the tiny bones out of 'em.

Steve, I've caught redhorses in Lake Ontario, Erie and G-bay tribs and my friend caught 1 weighing in at 9lbs from 1 Huron trib last spring. So long as they don't have to jump over any dams, they can swim pretty far up the river (Furthest up river I ever caught one was probably 70-80km from the lake). After they spawn they just migrate back to the lake like steelhead and chill out there for the rest of the year.

Managed to catch a couple today from 1 river. First redhorse for me in a couple years :thumbsup_anim:

IMG_3230b.jpg

And to compare, your average, every day white sucker

White+Sucker+_br+male+water__+4-1-09.jpg

I'm just tryin' to help you out and I really hope it pays off for you!

We caught fish as small as 3lbs and as big as 25 to 30...I'd say the average size carp at the forks was probably between 10 and 20 though.... We usually leaned our rods up on slingshot shaped stick stuck in the sand... but loosen your drag or keep an eye on your rod because we had to run into the river after our rods on more then one occasion! lol

Good Luck!

Thanks again for the tips man; they've already paid off!

My girlfriend wanted to go for a walk this evening, so I decided to bring along my fishing rod and last slice of bread. We found a nice calm area not too far from the sucker hole and after seeing a couple of air bubbles and small fish break the surface, we decided this was the spot to try.

Sure enough, a couple of minutes after the second cast, while we were distracted watching a pair of ducks cross the river, I hear that unmistakable scream of drag. Before I even had time to react, my rod was ripped from it's make-shift rock holder. Luckily we were on a shallow stretch of rocks, and I was able to quickly run over and grab the rod before it made its way further into the drink. I tightened up the drag, set the hook, and enjoyed a well fought battle (one which was completely unexpected, and, oh so satisfying).

Here's the aftermath

e4321060.jpg

512affae.jpg

Get yourself an inexpensive pair of bank sticks & alarm, obviously you don't have a 'baitrunner' style reel, so you just open up your drag. Over the years I've seen a few rods donated to the 'carp gods,' and have on a couple occasions forgot to set my bait-runner, and REALLY had to run to catch my rod!! To old to chase 'em these days . . . I have a good rod pod, and I triple check my bait-runner . . . . nothin' gets the ol' heart going like a few hundred bucks slidin' toward the water!

If ya like catching the coarse fish and are in London again, may I suggest the following...

-100 yds downstream from the Greeway Park train bridge... big sandy beach... huge carp and suckers...

-the break wall in Greenway Park, right beside the large parking lot, a bit upstream from the Wonderland Bridge...

That should keep yah plenty busy!

HH