Great Lake's ecosystem continues to change

Josh said "I guess change isn't always bad . . ."

I guess it's not bad, or doesn't really matter anymore after the fishery has been invaded, stocked, introduced, rehabilitated, re-introduced..............

the great lakes are basically a big sewer with biologists trying to manipulate the species involved

Wow, what a great job everybody is doing!

Josh said "I guess change isn't always bad . . ."

I guess it's not bad, or doesn't really matter anymore after the fishery has been invaded, stocked, introduced, rehabilitated, re-introduced..............

the great lakes are basically a big sewer with biologists trying to manipulate the species involved

Wow, what a great job everybody is doing!

This article is spot on with my 30+ years experience fishing the NE corner of Georgian Bay. From the mid 70's to the mid 2000's, the alewives would be thick as thieves when we fished at night for walleyes. It was not uncommon to hook 5-6 a night while trolling. Around 2005 or so, they simply disappeared. Not sure whether that's a good or bad thing but it is a definite change in the ecosystem.

And as an aside, it has eliminated one of my favorite pranks: stuffing a dead alewife caught from the night before in a Rapala box and into the tackle box of a boat partner......

The Army Corp of Enhgineers also has to fix the detroit river and stiop letting so much water through. Lake Huron and Geo bay need a few years of elevated levels to allow fish like pike to spawn successfully.

Thats another huge problem to fix.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the reasoning behind the introduction of the salmon was to curtail the overwhelming alewife population and it worked. salmon fisherman might be pissed but there will never be a return to that short term cycle of bounty.

the reasoning behind the introduction of the salmon was to curtail the overwhelming alewife population and it worked. salmon fisherman might be pissed but there will never be a return to that short term cycle of bounty.

oh i wouldnt be too sure about that ...granted it isnt what it used to be but when brown and lakers are turning up in larger than normal sizes...it translates for the salmon to follow suite....from the declining sizes of 2000 - 2008/9 the fish are on the rebound and looking very healthy (more girth then length) and it isnt uncommon to drive over 1/4 mile clouds of baitfish as it used to be pre 2000.....i expect to see a rapid increase to the tyees of yesteryear on Lake Huron ...we are a little over halfway there IMO

Cheers

And if the perch population truly is growing in Georgian bay ... some of those big girls (Musky) might well get up into the mid-high 50's and the days of double digit Pickeral may be just around the corner in too !

Really interesting read! I'm left with a couple of unanswered questions though.

"...studies have shown that lake trout natural reproduction has begun to increase with the changing diet of adult lake trout."

What exactly are the adult lake trout now foraging on? Young warm water species like perch and walleye? I doubt it, but if so, won't that keep those populations in check?

Also, what happens when the perch and walleye populations start to crash from overfishing and/or some other unforeseen invasive?

It seems like this water system has been in disequilibrium for the past century, and shows no sign of levelling out any time soon.

"State of Lake Huron Report"

Members of the public are invited to an evening presentation on the current condition of Lake Huron fisheries and ecology. Biologists from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources' Upper Great Lakes Management Unit will be giving a summary of the information presented at the recent international Great Lakes Fishery Commission Annual Meetings in Windsor. Come learn about what has been happening to the ecology of Lake Huron, its effect on commercial and sport fisheries and where they may be heading. The presentations will begin 7:30 pm, Thursday, May 10th at the Underwood Community Center. No admission charges. Hosted by the Lake Huron Fishing Club.

Tight Lines SBKGonefishing.gif