Eels Lake

jjcanoe

My parents have bought a trailer and plopped it at The Homestead Park on Eels Lake North of Peterborough off Hwy 28. Just wondering if anyone has been to the park before and if so whats it like (etc)

More importantly whats the fishing like in the lake. I've got a depth map, and know it has Lm and Sm bass Lakers, Pike and walleye, just looking for some general bassin areas since I'll be up there for the opener in June, feel free to reply and or PM me if you don't feel comfortable talking about it on the open forum

Thanks

jjcanoe

I have a friend that has a family cottage on that lake and her brother got a nice 15 pound laker last year. Humungous fish for that lake, he has been having good luck on lakers. Ill ask her this week about the other species.

Fished the lake for half a day a couple years ago, thunderstorms chased us off the water early, and haven't had a chance to go back. Planning on it though, it's a real nice lake with lotsa structure. We did manage one monster smallie in our short time there.

The level does fluctuate quite a bit over the season. We fished it in August that year, there was lots of water. I've seen the lake in late September and the level must have dropped 4 or 5 feet.

I had buddy's in that park for years. It's got to be the best trailer park in the north. Very clean. John the owner, runs a tite ship. One of the best fishin spots is in West Bay the sunken island. There is Walleye in there but not lots. Walleye got in there buy accident through Eels creek at high water. Guys catch them down near the public landing trolling body baits at night. Lots of hidden rocks so be careful especially in the later months when the water drops. The old guys fished with wire line for L. Trout. There is some nice Bass fishing in the lake. I still have a few buddy's there ask for Bob or Frazer. Bob is on the river. He's been there for over 30 years, got his place for sale now because of the high gas prices. His buddy Pete was in the park 40 years, new the lake like the back of his hand. Pete move out a few years back. I visited the guys 3to4 times a year. I got some good memories of great times and fishin we had there. I was a member of the Cardif Legion. Lots of small lakes in the area to fish Splake. Some of those back roads made for some good Fiddlehead and Wild leek pickin :good:

Edited by Fish Farmer

Thanks for the Great info guys! Almost everywhere I read had a mention of walleye in the lake but you never know until you ask. Not really a walleye fisherman anyways, good to hear that the park is a decent place as well. Maybe we'll get one of the waterfront sites in the future (if one becomes available) Hoping to get into some decent sized bass this summer up there, and maybe the odd lakeras well..

jjcanoe