Round reel baitcaster

cynmar

Alright guys, I've decided that I'm not going to use my line counter to cast for Pike, so ooooooo looking for a round baitcasting reel to use. I like the Abu reels haven't decided which one yet however I wanted an opinion of the Okuma round baitcasters. Sure can't afford Shimano so looking at others. The Okuma Akena looks good, somewhat of a lower round reel profile. Want to set this up with higher pound braid and the metal leader made from titanium I think it is that you can tie on. Like the idea of a species specific set up here. Input please.:Gonefishing:

I have a Cardiff 101A (handle on the left side) that is almost new. Only used a few times. No boat rash because I put my reels on the rods only when I get to the fishing site.

I like the reel but I prefer the handle on the right side so I don't use it. It is loaded with new braided line (Tuf Line I think....I will have to look) about 20 lb test. Casts great and very silent. Comes with box, instructions, parts diagram and maybe there are even a few small parts in the box too....not sure. Anyway....70 dollars shipping included or 60 dollars plus shipping.

Find a Calcutta or Daiwa Luna used... I actually just sold a Luna to a member on this board and I can tell you from experience it blows the Calcutta out of the water. You should be able to find the Luna's for a decent price as no one seems to know what a great reel they are. I would reccomend the Luna 253 for what you describe..

Thanks guys, hadn't considered used. I like right hand retrieve so the Cardiff won't work but thanks for bringing it up. I know I don't want to afford a Calcutta new or the price of a new Luna (can you even still buy them) for this but a good used may be feasible. Good suggestions.

Bill

Find a used Abu Garcia Morrum and don't turn back... One of the best round reels ever made.

It is a great reel,But if you not a chief engineer that works for NASA never take it apart.

I can install a ten gear planetary gear system Quicker then putting back together my Morrum.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Abu C3, it seems to get better ratings than the C4. That's about the price range I'm looking at as well. Looked on the Daiwa site and got afraid, went to the Shimano site and looked at the Calcuttas and went into apoplexy. I know, I know you get what you pay for but unfortunately, I'm the wieners and beans guy not the steak and lobster so the C3 will have to do. Thanks for all the info guys.

Bill

I'd suggest just keeping an eye out on Craigslist/kijiji. I was also in the market for a pike setup and over the winter managed to grab a 400 Calcutta and a 7'6" St.Croix to go with it. Total cost was $180 and a bit of driving. Not too bad, I'd say.

You want to talk about wieners and beans..

I've been looking for a cheap pike/muskie set up for a while.

Managed to pick this up for $10...

Tony Rizzo rod, old but in mint condition. And an Okuma Hologen bait caster.

TonyRizzo2.jpg

TonyRizzo4.jpg

TonyRizzo3.jpg

Edited by N.A.W

Maybe.. But it aint no Shimano mounted on a St Croix!!

The rod is made by Southbend.. Might be garbage.

We'll see how this combo holds up.

Edited by N.A.W

I have an Abu c3 4600 that I use for my deep cranking. It is my only non-Daiwa reel that I use, and I love the thing. It casts heavier lures incredibly well. The non-disengaging levelwind system is great for ensuring that the line lay is always even on the spool. The non-disengaging levelwind means that on a cast, the levelwind continues to move side to side as the spool spins. I do not think that most Daiwa round reels have this. While it helps with line lay, it also means that some of the energy that goes into a cast is used for driving the levelwind system. However, numerous aftermarket upgrades are avilable to minimize this energy loss. I have done this to my c3 which is why it casts so well.

While I cannot say how it performs in comparison with the other reels mentioned, I do not think you can really go wrong with such a tried and true round reel.