Ice floe trollers on Simcoe have to pay up...

Harrison

Touchy thread again but I agree with Bob because he is right. The government system is twisted enough, we pay too much and you all know it. It's a excuse to bill a dozen people because they could of just let it go...They learned they felt there jaws drop and I couldn't imaging the feeling they felt out there. Must of been scary but weeks later they get hit with a $200 bill...around tax time too no figure.

I'm not a long time worker but all of you that have been working for year know or can imaging how much money is taken from us each pay each year each purchase. The township has money the government has the money i don't think a extra 2 grand is going to do much but pay for the food at the next 5 meetings right.

Make em pay is the theme here it seems..do you really think the money is going where you think it is. I can't reply again to the comments so don't wait for furious responses because its foolish to defend the government. A lie there world is to us.

They made the mistake and I'm sure there were many hugs from family and laugh's from friends about the event. Let me tell you, the day after being saved or assisted by crucial services and I get a bill from the the dink that sits in his office and has nothing to do with the outdoor world I might just go nuts.

Let the spring begin!

MTBF :thumbsup_anim:

I'm sure this has been said but..... don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

How would you like a bill for rescue after you've toured the ditch in a snow storm because of excessive speed? How about billing the impaired driver for the cost of the Ride Programs we need to setup each weekend? If they rescue you in a summer storm on Simcoe after there's been numerous weather warnings issued, should you be billed? ETC.

The government at all levels is looking to off load expenses. I know $200 doesn't come close to the cost but the precedent is dangerous.

It's a slippery slope and we all know the Municipalities around Simcoe are for the most part not supporters of the ice fishing crowd. Is this not another way to discourage ice fishing? Parking tickets have done it for many.

Dan O.

I'm sure this has been said but..... don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

How would you like a bill for rescue after you've toured the ditch in a snow storm because of excessive speed? How about billing the impaired driver for the cost of the Ride Programs we need to setup each weekend? If they rescue you in a summer storm on Simcoe after there's been numerous weather warnings issued, should you be billed? ETC.

The government at all levels is looking to off load expenses. I know $200 doesn't come close to the cost but the precedent is dangerous.

It's a slippery slope and we all know the Municipalities around Simcoe are for the most part not supporters of the ice fishing crowd. Is this not another way to discourage ice fishing? Parking tickets have done it for many.

Dan O.

I don't know about discouraging ice fishing,but if there is little to no ice,AND warnings were given,What do you think should of been done?.

it's funny because this thread gives perspective on which ofc'ers will be getting rescued some day!

Doc you never fail to surprise me .. Of all the posters I would have thought you would see this as what it is "double Taxing" .. Billy Im withyou on this one .. NO one has said anything about the 100's plus who went out that day .. Was not just 26 guys on Simcoe that weekend , if you gonna charge people with all those others out there who MUST OF HAD THE RESCUE guys on stand by , they all put themselves at risk , yet beyond a sign or two that had been there ALL WINTER ,no one stopped them ..

It is more often from pride than from ignorance that we are so obstinately opposed to current opinions; we find the first places taken, and we do not want to be the last.

-Francois De La Rochefoucauld, moralist (1613-1680)

think you just want to go against what you know is right , just to be Different .. or maybe you have changed your values ??? .. Let them go and take their moneys and than fine/tax them when it went wrong .. DUHHHHH !!!!!! Guess you never took a chance in your life when the warning is ALLWAYS THERE , those signs where not put up that day THEY WERE THERE ALL WINTER >> SO NO ONE SHOULD HAVE EVER BEEN OUT ON THE ICE ON SIMCOE THIS YEAR >>

Edited by capt bruce

Dan O.

do they not issue fines for people that drive down closed roads during those snow events....and your insurance is null and void should you have an accident on a closed road ? i said it before and ill say it again....SOME people require others to make decisions for them...THEY GOT OFF EASY!!!!

Dan O.

Wouldn`t be speeding in a snow storm,wouldn`t be on the Simcoe when weather warnings are present,and what ever you want to do to a convicted impaired driver is alright by me! :Gonefishing:

If they chose to venture on to the ice knowing it was unsafe and with warning then fine them.

I heard the ice was 8" thick and the wind came up very quickly. I wasn't there but I see some of you guys are locals and you felt it was totally unsafe then I'd respect that and say they get what they deserve.

I do wish the OPP would be a little more judicious in their warnings though. In this case it was obviously warranted but the OPP never stop issuing unsafe ice warnings even when the ice is safe on a good year. You can't constantly cry WOLF! I know it would cut the OPP's workload if nobody ice fished. Then everybody is safe!

I always wonder if it's fellow ice fishermen that say hang these guys up by the you-know-whats. It's easy to judge if you don't parttake of the sport. I think they should fine snowmobilers that require a rescue.... oh wait a minute I don't snowmobile.

Doesn't affect me.

Dan O.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

NO one has said anything about the 100's plus who went out that day ..

well, i think it's foolish for ANYONE to be on the ice when the conditions don't warrant it. those 100's of people are all foolish and fortunate that they didn't end up in the same boat as the ice flow trollers.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm just happy nobody was hurt elsewhere on account of all these resources being tied up to rescue a bunch of irresponsible and selfish anglers. were you on the ice that day or something mike? :whistling: