Death in the Woods

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

I spent five hours and covered 10.6 km’s in the woods today. As always, plenty to see – including five deer, nine turkey, numerous ducks, and a red-tailed hawk.

My time in the fresh air and expansive land aroused some thoughts. Many of us have grown accustomed to photographs, calendars, books, and magazines showcasing nature in it’s finest – and mostly live – state. Many don’t see the other side. The struggles that take place each and every day. The side of death.

I came across many scenes of death in the woods today. Skeletal remains, bleached by the sun, and strewn haphazardly about. Turkey feathers piled high after being ravaged by a predator. With each animal I came across I pondered how they met their fate. Were they unable to endure the cold temperature and deep snow of winter? Old age? Coyote ambush?

I counted four separate remains of deer today. Two turkey piles were also discovered. I’m sure the woods held many more. But with death comes life…and in some ways, a simple and peaceful beauty lies in it all.

DeathWoods1.jpg

DeathWoods3.jpg

DeathWoods2.jpg

DeathWoods4.jpg

DeathWoods6.jpg

DeathWoods5.jpg

DeathWoods7.jpg

DeathWoods8.jpg

DeathWoods9.jpg

Cheers,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Nice piece Justin.

Nothing dies of old age in the wild. Often death is brutal. Being eaten alive sometimes.

I wouldn't want to grabbed by a hawk, have at least 4 talons stuck in your back. Then be ripped apart alive back at the nest.

It aint pretty.

I always enjoy your posts JH, keep them up if you can

looks like deer pooh right beside the one long bone picture, same animal?

we always seem to play CSI when we walk in the bush, looking at animal tracks, trying to figure out the story behind whatever we find, watching birds and looking for game, there's alot to see if you pay attention, very cool

Edited by chris.brock