Oshawa creek/river

mrdylan

I did some searching but couldn't find much info.

I want to fish my local creek/river here because I know that we get Steelheads and Salmon coming up. My questions are how far up do they come? I live in the north end and I am hoping to quickly jog up the road and throw a few casts after work possibly when the season opens up and what would I use to catch them other than a roe etc. Are there any lures in particular that I might be able to catch something with. My final question is would or have you eaten anything out of the Oshawa creek or even Lake Ontario for that matter because I love Rainbow trout.

I have seen some mighty big dead guys in a park close to where I live but I don't know if these are ones offs and died because they came up this far or if they actually venture up in nice numbers. Any tips or areas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by mrdylan

Those big boys you’re seeing dead stream side are salmon moat likely. They die after spawning. I would have to say if the salmon make it up so do the steelhead. Check the regs make sure the area isnt a sanctuary if not give it a try. Use 8-10 pound test and fluorocarbon leader u can use roe dew worms jigs pink worms. As for lures use small to mid size spinners (mepps) and small size little Cleo’s.

The park you refer to must be just N. of Rossland ,I have seen people catching fish from there to Taunton and from there to Conlin Rd. NO BODY tresspasses on to Windfield Farms but I have seen people fishing north of there.

vance

The park you refer to must be just N. of Rossland ,I have seen people catching fish from there to Taunton and from there to Conlin Rd. NO BODY tresspasses on to Windfield Farms but I have seen people fishing north of there.

vance

Yeah it is and thanks for all the replies.

there is lots of trout way up the creek right now and if you go way up there is resident browns all year but most of that area is all private property,just south of the camp samac dam there is lots of fish there so the opener should be good,people are there at the dam right now watching the trout jump up the dam spillway its really neat to see how many there are...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

there is lots of trout way up the creek right now and if you go way up there is resident browns all year but most of that area is all private property,just south of the camp samac dam there is lots of fish there so the opener should be good,people are there at the dam right now watching the trout jump up the dam spillway its really neat to see how many there are...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

How do you get over to the dam? I would like to take my 3 yr old over there to watch the fish...Better yet what's the best way in to watch the fish jump.. Thanks

Craig

The big ones you're seeing are not likely be trout, unless you saw them last fall. By now, all the salmon would be decomposed.

One thing I don't see mentioned here is to fish a small bit of night crawler under a small float. Put only enough split shot to get the worm down to the fish & take the time to walk up and down, in search of deeper pools and/or fish that are not pressured (or less pressured). Single eggs are also a good idea in small creeks.

Good luck!

p.-

Sorry for posting right after myself.

I checked out the area I plan to fish tonight and I couldn't see anything around at all. Another guy with a dog actually came by and said the same thing (maybe someone here?) Do these fish come back down from camp samac after they are done spawning to head back into Lake Ontario? Doesn't the seaon start this weekend?

We tried to check out camp Samac too but they are only open till 5 so we are going to try and hit it tomorrow after work we get off at 1:00.

Thanks again and I will catch at least one of these monsters in the next few weeks.

Sorry to bump this up yet again but they wouldn't let us into samac said it was for scouts only we tried this afternoon.

So my questions now are:

1) Do these fish come back down stream and when?

2) Is there somewhere else we could go to see these fish jumping and what is the best time to do so?

3) Is it legal to fish right in a public park like the one I am talking about? I have looked through the regs and see no mention of any bans etc in Oshawa so the river unless private property as mentioned above is open game to the best of my knowledge once the season opens up.

4) And again do you guys eat out of this river? (Do you now have 2 heads how is your sex life etc?)

Edited by mrdylan

Sorry to bump this up yet again but they wouldn't let us into samac said it was for scouts only we tried this afternoon.

So my questions now are:

1) Do these fish come back down stream and when?

2) Is there somewhere else we could go to see these fish jumping and what is the best time to do so?

3) Is it legal to fish right in a public park like the one I am talking about? I have looked through the regs and see no mention of any bans etc in Oshawa so the river unless private property as mentioned above is open game to the best of my knowledge once the season opens up.

4) And again do you guys eat out of this river? (Do you now have 2 heads how is your sex life etc?)

Still looking for a couple answers here if anyone can help. Are the fish still jumping or is it too late now?

I think I am going try fishing for some of these this weekend.

(Do you now have 2 heads how is your sex life etc?)

lost u there big time, what the heck is that mean lol, pls explain,

ur asking too many questions, like xrap said go out and explore, or do u expect ppl here to put the trout on the hook for u also?

Edited by urbanangler

By that I meant did you grow 2 heads from eating the fish from either Lake Ontario or the Oshawa creek. Was a joke more less as I have heard some pretty horrific stories.

I am not asking for specific spots to fish I think I have found mine I just wanted to take my kids to see the fish jumping and camp Samac will not let you in unless your a scout so I was wondering if there was anywhere else. I don't have the time to check it out on a daily basis so I thought I would ask.

Thanks anyways and I do appreciate the replies.

• 9 months later...

mrdylan,

In response to your questions.

The fish you are seeing in Oshawa creek during the early spring are steelhead trout. During late spring / early summer you can catch some real nice smallmouth bass and the odd northern pike. During the fall you can witness a terrific salmon run. I personally don't eat fish from that creek but people do.

Enjoy the Oshawa creek, it really is a great fishery in your own backyard. Please practice sound conservation and like the others said; its best to get out and discover it for yourself.

Looking forward to the spring!