towing a kicker

sonny

Ok guys,, here's my question! At the present moment i have a kicker plate attacted to my boat on which i run a four hp fourstroke...now the question is,,,is it safe to trailer it while still attached,,i did so last year on short trips (10-30km),,but am i risking damage to the transom?? i can't find any info on the subject...please advise!! Do you trailer with motor attached??

Sonny I would take it off the kicker plate on a long trip if its one of those plates that goes up and down.I had one on my previous fiberglass boat and found it would swing back and forth on choppy roads but then again we have the worst roads in the country(Quebec)The motor I had was an old 7.5hp Honda 4 stroke and it was quite heavy easily over 100lbs.I am not sure how much your 4hp weighs so its hard to say.

I currently transport my kicker on my Lund with no problems directly on the transom.I just fasten a couple of rubber bungies from the lower foot to the trailer to keep it in place.I would have to see a pic to really know.

Mike

This is what I had.

Visit My Website

Edited by Mike the Pike

hey mike,,,thanks for the reply....the braket you posted is exactly the same but mine is rated for up to 20hp,,,and i believe the motor wieghs in somwhere around the 60-70 mark,,,would like to hear more,,,i don't worry so much about the motor falling off as i do about damaging the transom,,,i have it on a 16extreme legend with a rating of 75hp

I used to have a long shaft, 6 HP kicker that sat on the transom, and when I was trailering the boat, I'd lower the kicker all the way down, then use a rope to tie the bottom of the motor securely to the trailer so it couldn't move anywhere.

I'd think that would also work in your situation as your just trying to prevent the motor from bouncing up & down and putting undue stress on the transom or trolling bracket ??

It's gonna be a pain in the butt if you have to keep taking the motor off and have to haul it around in the trunk along with everything else.