NF - german shorthaired pointers

addymark

I am on the market for a GSP and have seen some posts on here about this breed.

If anyone has information you would like to share on particular breeders in Ontario (good/bad) please PM me.

Also if there is any tips or questions that you could recommend, I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks,

Adam

We have a 11/2 year old female, just a fantastic dog. I got her from a breeder in Lindsay, and unfortunately she won't have any pups available in the forseeable future.

I don't have much to add beyond this; do not get this breed unless you have the necessary time to invest in it.

They're a super high energy breed and need daily runs.

They're also super smart, very loyal and affectionate. I'm more than a bit biased, but good choice!

a great strong bred....i have a distant cousin of the short hair pointer....a wiemeraner..

like solo said....they must be worked daily!!!

very smart and loyal....becareful round young kids tho they tend not to know how much strength they have and can be a little much

good luck with your new pup!!

I had a female GSP who was put down in her 12th year, a liver and white, and a beautiful dog and breed, what everone is saying is absolutely true, they are high energy, need to be worked and allowed to run to blow off steam, they are lightning fast, and highly recommended by me as a great choice for your next dog or first dog.

We have a 11/2 year old female, just a fantastic dog. I got her from a breeder in Lindsay, and unfortunately she won't have any pups available in the forseeable future.

I don't have much to add beyond this; do not get this breed unless you have the necessary time to invest in it.

They're a super high energy breed and need daily runs.

They're also super smart, very loyal and affectionate. I'm more than a bit biased, but good choice!

YOUR RIGHT WHAT YOU SAY. THEIR ENERGY LEVEL WILL SLOW DOWN A SMALL BIT AROUND 9 OR 10 YRS whistling.gif MY BUDDY HAS ONE AND IT WILL RUN BESIDE THE SKIDOO AT A GOOD 30K OR SO...GREAT DOG

everything you guys have said is why I am so interested in this breed. I lead an active lifestyle and my parents have a place up north where I can take him/her for the summers and fall.

My old lab used to disappear for the day up north and come back for his dinner time. it was clock work! Do male GSP's have a tendency to get on a sent trail and take off similar to what my lab would do? also I have read that some GSP's don't like the water... have you guys had any issues with this?

everything you guys have said is why I am so interested in this breed. I lead an active lifestyle and my parents have a place up north where I can take him/her for the summers and fall.

My old lab used to disappear for the day up north and come back for his dinner time. it was clock work! Do male GSP's have a tendency to get on a sent trail and take off similar to what my lab would do? also I have read that some GSP's don't like the water... have you guys had any issues with this?

This is the third GSP I've had. The one male we had was always taking off. Ultimately that's how he met his demise as he was hit by a car. (and that was after scaling a 10' kennel fence then leaping over a standard height chain link fence to escape)

Once when I was driving the car at about 60K he saw a squirrel and leaped right out the open window and hit the ground running LOL!

Both females including my current dog are much more laid back and will not run off. That's been my experience, can't say for sure if this is a common trait based on gender.

All of my dogs loved the water. Our current dog will swim all day long if you let her...but she hates cold water.

Right now she'll charge right in, but won't go deeper than her legs.

If I throw a stick for her into deeper water this time of year she looks at me like I'm an idiot then makes this weird growly sound in her throat LOL!

Yes. I am hoping to. I had a lab growing up and we trained him on waterfowl. looking to do the same and for pheasants and grouse.

OK now we're talking,

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! The breed is what everyone has already stated, highly active to say the least.

As for the hunting part remember Good hunting lines are critical, your not looking for show titles, you need proven hunting pedigree. Stuff like NAVHDA(North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) titles and total points awarded to the dogs.

Ask the breeder to see his/her dogs work some birds, obviously ask about health problems and various health guarantees.

Make sure if your buying local to check the kennel out in person.

I was burned BIG TIME with my first GSP (for hunting) I wont even tell you how many thousands of dollars I spent on that dog trying to turn her field/show pedigree into hunting birds.wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

My GSP Jasper, is from the States (same price as buying here) lots of great dogs up here ! but upland hunting is a little more serious down South. They take hunting dogs very serious.

PM me if you would like breeder info both good and bad. A good place to checkout online is "the upland journal " more info than you would ever need.

Good luck!

sq.jpg