14' Tinny

wormdunker

I went with the 14' wide body Naden a few years ago and love it. Mine just flies on calm water and takes waves well in rougher swells. I had bought a new 30 hp Johnson 2 years prior to that, so I had to stick with the 15" transom. If I was buying new, I would definitely go 20" and long shaft motor. Picked mine up for a real good price at the end of the season in Coldwater. The Naden is rated for 35 hp but be careful if you go 4 stroke, as a lot of these hp ratings were done on the basis of 2 strokes which can be up to 40 lbs lighter. Depending on which of my three annual fishing trips we're on, it either rides on its own trailer or on a rack that I have built over my off-road pop-up tent trailer.

Edited by Tootsie II

I'm looking to purchase a new 14' tinny for the small lakes I fish north of Sudbury. I'm looking at the Princecraft Yukon 15. It's 14'3" length with a 15" transom. Also available is the Yukon 20 (14'3", 20" transom). Both have 68" beam. What R your thoughts on the short shaft versus the long shaft? Also motor size? Max HP rating is 25HP. This sounds like alot of motor for a 14'. I'm leaning toward a 15HP Merc 4 stroke. Or should I move up to the 20 HP? Salesman states going from 15 HP - 20 HP is only a difference of 2-3 mph. Your comments are welcome. Does anybody own this particular boat? I would appreciate your input. I also looked at the Alumacraft. Similar specs to the Princecraft. Alumacraft's max HP rating is 20 HP. Weight of both is only a 5 lb difference. Please give me your thoughts. Thanx

I have spent a lot of time in the Yukon 15 (15 inch transom) as a good friend of mine has one. He and I fished out of it 10 days straight a couple of years ago without complaint.

It has a lot of positives in my view - it is light and pretty stable.

15 horsepower moves it along quickly.

Perfect boat for a lot of those smaller lakes up your way. Easy to get into tight spaces.

From a negative perspective the gauge of aluminum is pretty light. It was trailered a few times without a transom saver (and a motor on it). That resulted in the transom having to be replaced. If I were to buy one I might consider getting one a bit heavier with thicker aluminum.

Thanx for all your replies. I'm presently PM Irishfield for a quote on the Naden. His guy is going to contact me. I emailed Polar Craft 1 week ago, they have yet to reply. Princecraft & Alumacraft R .066 guage aluminum, Naden is .072, also 4" wider. Naden has 5 keel strips which makes it a very stable boat. Not sure # of keel strips on the Prince, but I will find out.

Thanx for all your replies. I'm presently PM Irishfield for a quote on the Naden. His guy is going to contact me. I emailed Polar Craft 1 week ago, they have yet to reply. Princecraft & Alumacraft R .066 guage aluminum, Naden is .072, also 4" wider. Naden has 5 keel strips which makes it a very stable boat. Not sure # of keel strips on the Prince, but I will find out.

I have a 14' Misty River. It weighs 315 lbs. Wide and deep and rated for up to 30 hp. When I bought it new I went with a 15 hp four stroke. Two guys, battery, electric trolling motor, all safety eqipment and our gear and it ran out at 20 mph. Just me and my gear, 23 mph. Three guys and gear and the top speed dropped down to around 15 mph.

I put a 25 four stoke on it last year and with three in the boat it runs out a 25 mph. Me alone and it's up to 28 mph. With two it barely falls off at all.

20 inch transom is the way to go. Fast stops with a 15" and you'll have water sloshing in over the back of the boat. Especially when you are alone because all the weight is in the back end. A splash well is a plus. Maxing out the horsepower will get you to shore a lot quicker if there's a storm brewin.

My last boat was a Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman with a 25 Johnson on it. In any kind of rough water, the poor slob running the motor (me) got drenched because there was no splash rail to deflect the water away from the sides of the boat. Hull design that incorporates a slash rail is a must for me.

My buddy has a Lund 14' with a 25 on it and it's a real nice soft dry ride. Another buddy has a Sylvan. He's always wet in rough water and that thing just pounds going through the waves. He gets mad when I tell him it's like putting an outboard on an old bath tub. It doesn't cut the water at all. It plows.

Hard to imagine there could be so much difference in a 14' tinny but believe me there is.

Good luck.

Wormdunker.. spent a long time yaking with Andre and we've decided it's best to let our dealers do their thing and to not start undercutting them by selling directly.

That said.. Temagami Marine is a dealer and if you mention my name the pencil might get sharpened a bit there, but I bet the same thing can happen through Geisler Marine in Powassan as well. Which ever Naden dealer is the closest to the purchaser just makes it easiest for the buyer. I'll send you a PM and I'm waiting for a list of current dealers that are on board with the new Naden Boat.

Buy a new Naden out of Temagami Boat Manufacturing Inc. I need to see some returns.... :whistling: PM me if you want a quote.

Heaviest 14'r is 265lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-canadianlaker.html

The 14' Fisherman is 240 lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-fisherman.html

The light fisherman is only 160lbs.

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-lightfisherman.html

If they build them like they did in Vermilion Bay,you can't go wrong.

In this neck of the woods,you see a Naden in about every second yard.