can canoe on grand river on dunnville?

saneryin

willing to try the cats in Dunnville this Sat.(Mar. 17) with a 12' canoe.

Will stay on the water within 300 meters away from the fishmasters dock.

2 factors to consider:

- 20 kmh wind.

- Waves created by those passing by boats.

Would it be safe enough? anybody have been canoe fishing there before under similar or worse condition?

Appreciate any comment.

Thanks!

willing to try the cats in Dunnville this Sat.(Mar. 17) with a 12' canoe.

Will stay on the water within 300 meters away from the fishmasters dock.

2 factors to consider:

- 20 kmh wind.

- Waves created by those passing by boats.

Would it be safe enough? anybody have been canoe fishing there before under similar or worse condition?

Appreciate any comment.

Thanks!

I think you will be OK.

I once saw a 12' boat with 5 or 6 people fishing out of it down there one time. :unsure:

I seem to recall 2 adults and 4 kids in the boat.

I was standing on the dam at the time. :D

The water is very cold, make sure you wear your PFD. Cold water will kill you in a hurry.

One April we were fishing the spring tourney down in St. Kitts out of my buddies 36' sportfish in some 4 footers when a distress call came over the radio. A 20'-22' run about had motor issues and had been swamped by a wave. They got lucky as another boat was very close as they didn't have their PFDs on and were just about ready to let go of the boat because of hypothermia. The could swear they were holding on for a long time, when in actual fact the other boat got to them within 30 seconds!!!!!! The next week they were back with shiny new floater coats and suits!!! They were very lucky to survive as the cold will kill you in a heart beat if you are not wearing your PFD!!!! While you will still be very cold with just a PFD on at least you won't be sinking to the bottom with your lungs full of water.

Be safe out there and post pics of the trip.

You will be ok, provided that you don't venture too close to the dam and you wear a PFD. If your fishing near the dam and thinking about anchoring, make sure you have a real sharp knife with you ready so that you can cut the rope if and when the anchor gets snagged. As you try to pull the snag free you are also pulling yourself closer to the dam (assuming you threw the anchor towards and close to the dam). Keep this in mind and play safe.

Me and DRIFTER_016 may of seen the same people as I saw 6 guys in a 12' possibly 2' away from the dam before. Iv'e had that current slowly pull me toward the dam when I was 20' away before. It does stop pulling you in eventually, but you don't know when that can be.

You will know as soon as you get there. Sometimes the wave can get to a foot, but that is about it. If to wavy go across the bridge to BBQ Island, pay for parking and drive out to the point. You could launch and stay close enogh to be out of the wind. Be sure to wear your PFD. Cold , Cold water.

Good luck.

You will know as soon as you get there. Sometimes the wave can get to a foot, but that is about it. If to wavy go across the bridge to BBQ Island, pay for parking and drive out to the point. You could launch and stay close enogh to be out of the wind. Be sure to wear your PFD. Cold , Cold water.

Good luck.

The Grand Island BBQ will not be Open this year they have the Parking Lot Blocked off this year...