a bit of a warning for Nipissing ice

Rod Caster

Today was my last day with the truck on the ice. There is a still a good 18inch base of strong ice, but the recent melt has opened up quite a few tire swallowing drainage holes. Tonight's cold temps will turn the lake into a rink then its back to mild temps on saturday. I'd feel ok on a 4wheeler but that's about it.

Tomorrow will proabably be my last day with the truck. Gonna pull the huts to shore then I'll be fishing "Rod Caster" style.

I have to be home by 430 tomorrow, but if u need a hand with shack, I can make some time after 2.

The landing at Park Road was rough on the way out... I saw a few completely open spots. Hopefully this cold weather keeps the landings steady so that everyone can get their shacks off... You know its going to be a busy weekend!

Starting to see some holes opening up here on Sturgeon Lake too. We had to have our huts off by the first, probably a good thing too. I don't think I'd be running my ATV across the lake anymore this year.

Be safe up there guys!

There is a still a good 18inch base of strong ice, but the recent melt has opened up quite a few tire swallowing drainage holes.

You mean drainage holes like this?

Here is where my hut was. These are my 2 inside holes and the back one is for my minnow motel.

CIMG2542.jpg

Here are close ups with my size 11 boots as reference.

CIMG2541.jpg

CIMG2540.jpg

CIMG2539.jpg

Still lots of ice out there.

CIMG2538.jpg

Thanks for the pics Blair, great example of what I was talking about.

You gotta keep a sharp eye out there but like you said, otherwise we still have lots of good ice...actually the best ice of the season so far. Still, my truck is staying on shore. haha.

CIMG2538.jpg

Hey, that looks just like the same portable hut that blew away the nigh of the Nip G2G!!

Thanks for posting guys! With the sporadic white outs we've had today, you never know when you'll find yourself in zero visibility out there. Impossible to spot one of those opened up holes while driving a truck.

Hey, that looks just like the same portable hut that blew away the nigh of the Nip G2G!!

Thanks for posting guys! With the sporadic white outs we've had today, you never know when you'll find yourself in zero visibility out there. Impossible to spot one of those opened up holes while driving a truck.

Ya it is the same kind of hut. That is my buddy Bertrand (he is on OOD Community forum and icenews.ca). He got a few perch today, a nice 30" pike, and a herring.