Outpost Shining Tree

brkygetr

Allright I am breaking down, actually my buddy is but I will blame it on him!

We have been fishing the Upper Grassy area for more than a decade now. Drive up, make bivouak, cut wood, insert woodstove, put in boats, take a pop break, eat...break time again, blah blah blah :blahblah1:

This year we want to drive up, with or without our own boat, and have access to a pre-fashioned room, including roof, with minimal accompliments.

Does anyone have any suggestions from outfitters up that way that would meet our needs?

It must be a isolated, no neighbours, and we are willing to take everything we need on our own, just do NOT want to build a shack! Also we are not into paying for an 'American Plan'.

We have researched a few locations and have a few ideas but I was wondering if anyone has any non-biased reviews of something that would work?

As a side note I know the areas up there will produce and I am not looking for 100 fish (walters) during the week...just want a quite spot with reasonable roofing and a chair! :clapping:

Let me know,

Dale.

If you are intent on staying on the upper Grassy, I know of no commercial outposts of the type you are seeking. We've been fishing parts of that system for over 30 years

(Loonwing/Sinclair/Kapiskong) and still do the same type of camp set-up that you do. For us it's worth it because we are there for 14 days. According to the land use planning guidelines estabilshed by the Ministry for that area, they will not allow any commercial development, including outfitters, on that system. That is because that area is considered to be a "headwaters" area. As well, that area is considered to be part of the traditional gathering grounds of the Mattagami First Nation from Mattagami Lake, about 20 km away. The only private camps that I know of on that area of the system are owned by band members. Last year we met one large party of guys who stayed in Gowganda at night but travelled to our area each day to fish. They trailered their boats in the first day and chained them to trees for 2 nights. Sent you a PM.

Edited by Tootsie II

Tootsie,

I may have been a little to vague, we are willing to end up anywhere between Kirkland Lake/Timmins/Sud. Our destination was always 'up' the Grassy from the #560. Not actually on the the Grassy.

Solo,

That was one of the options. I was attracted by the 45 min 4x4 ride in, much like the Grassy Rd. used to be. Only prob is that only 2 of us are going so may be hard to book reasonably.

Another option is off the Nabakwasi river...Twin J Camp. One of our group used to bowhunt this area extensively and we know the fish are there, just hoping some one can chime in on experiences.

Tootsie,

I may have been a little to vague, we are willing to end up anywhere between Kirkland Lake/Timmins/Sud. Our destination was always 'up' the Grassy from the #560. Not actually on the the Grassy.

Solo,

That was one of the options. I was attracted by the 45 min 4x4 ride in, much like the Grassy Rd. used to be. Only prob is that only 2 of us are going so may be hard to book reasonably.

Another option is off the Nabakwasi river...Twin J Camp. One of our group used to bowhunt this area extensively and we know the fish are there, just hoping some one can chime in on experiences.

You might be surprised, most outfitters are willing to deal a bit with the way the economy's going.

Here's two more similar outpost camps all of them seem to be in the same price range for a week.

Wenebegon Lake: http://www.fivemilelake.com/chapleau-outpost-camps.htm

Embarass Lake: http://www.kanipahow.com/wordpress/category/outpost-camp/embarass-lake/

All 3 I posted would be good, but if I had to pick one it'd be Wenebegon.

Dale, you have to watch the Nabakwasi. Some parts of it are closed as sanctuary til June 15th from right near Twin-J's to several miles up the river right to Nabakwasi Lake, I believe. Check the reg's if you're planning an early season trip.

You might be surprised, most outfitters are willing to deal a bit with the way the economy's going.

Here's two more similar outpost camps all of them seem to be in the same price range for a week.

Wenebegon Lake: http://www.fivemilelake.com/chapleau-outpost-camps.htm

Embarass Lake: http://www.kanipahow.com/wordpress/category/outpost-camp/embarass-lake/

All 3 I posted would be good, but if I had to pick one it'd be Wenebegon.

Nice...gooood researchin!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

OK.

Booked the Nabakwasi cabin , June 15th, for various reasons. Isolation, de-nero's, and conversation's with outfitters. Going to be different fishing a river instead of a lake. The owner suggested worms that time of year? A river thing? I only fish with minnows for walters.

So any suggestions fellas? By the way I am going to make the best attempt ever at a true trip log. This one is going to be different because I do NOT HAVE TO BUILD A CAMP!!!!!!

I can't wait.

Cheers and bring on the snow and reg temps!!!!! :whistling: