Nipissing report

wormdunker

I'm new in Sudbury, never fished Nipissing until this winter. I've been out 5 times to explore Nipissing coming home with little to no fish. Not knowing which area to target I just stopped the Atv near 2 other huts. I augered 3 holes, got set up & almost instantly the bite was on. I didn't move all afternoon, at times I could only manage 1 rod, cause the other rod was basically feeding the fish! I fished from 1:00 - 5:30. I was fortunate enough to land a limit of wallys, 30 perch, of which 4 were 12". The other perch were 8-10". Also landed a Cisco (lake herring) approximately 2 1/2 lbs. I was advised by a fellow fisher that Ciscoes on Nipissing are full of worms so I released it. I recently purchased the new Humminbird Ice 55. Amazing how the flasher showed the Cisco coming up from the bottom to chase down my bait. Twice during the day I caught 2 walleye that were shown to be suspended at 24 fow. I was in 40 fow. I raised my bait to 24 fow WHAM, fish on! I have never used electronics during the hard water season until recently. Without the flasher I would not have seen those fish up in the water column. Really exciting.

Having the sonar out there changes everything! Wait until your battery dies and you have to fish without it :lol::lol:

I got my first herring out of Nip this year....was all excited to eat it...only thing healthy about it were the worms squirming around inside it sad.gif