ATV insurance

captpierre

I am also with State Farm. 2006 Polaris 450, $182.00 a year full coverage. If I were you, I would go with the two smaller machines, It will give you a lot more freedom and a lot more fun. As far as power goes, I had a Polaris 300 before this and it had plenty of power for pulling logs and stuff out of the bush and the smaller size made it easier to handle in the bush.

Thanks Cliff.

I've been struggling with the decision on machines. We have a new cottage since last summer on Pigeon and lots of neighbours have ATVs.

I have a wife, 4 grown kids and their spouses/girlfriends that want to ride. Thought it would be nice to ATV the surrounding trails and country roads on those days when boating/fishing conditions suck. Maybe drive into Buckhorn for breakfast or a coffee. (10Km ride). There are lots of small backcountry lakes north of here that I'ld like to explore.

After talking to lots of folks on this forum, at shows and buddies, I find that things are more complicated.

Can't drive a side by side on the roads or most trails. Can't even drive a proper 2 UP on the roads with a passenger (likely OK with just the driver although by law that isn't actually allowed). I've been told that putting a seat on the back of a single ATV is ill advised.

Did a lot of research and concluded the best 2 UP for me would be the Can Am 500 or 650 Max XT, or the Polaris 550 Touring. They say you need power steering with 2 people. I'm looking at $12K plus including tax for a new one. Plus insurance. Then can't even run on the roads with my wife on the back.

I'm thinking now it's best to get 2 smaller machines. Then we can both bomb around legally and so can the kids and the inevitable guests that come on weekends. That means storing and maintaining 2 machines. And insurance X 2. There are a lot more single used machines out there. Looking at 300-400 cc as likely big enough. Should have independent rear suspension.

Not sure how many Kms are too much in a used machine. I'm thinking 2000.

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

ATV virgin

peter

Edited by captpierre

Anybody have an idea what ATV insurance costs? I guess it depends on engine size and value of the machine.

Looking at a used 650cc 2 UP or 2 smaller used singles around 350-400cc. Multiple drivers in the family. All over 20 yrs

thanks

peter

mine is 236.73 or $19.72 a month

2 mill liability including collision cadillac policy, the cheap one offered was only $18 difference

it is through primum insurance which in itself is TD

this is on a 2010 yamaha kodiak 400 4X4

when you are just bombing around or trail riding smaller machines are way more fun and if you get stuck you have some ability to manhandle the machine out of the problem, not so with some giant 650 2up. smaller machines can go lots more places than big machines.

and you are dealing with a large family + guests

1 machine gets pretty dull pretty quick

sounds like fun either way!

I think you are on the right track with two smaller machines to start with. How many hours are too much? That really depends on how the machine was used and maintained. I have seen a lot of machines that had the daylights beat out of them at 2000 hours but I have also seen machines that had a lot more hours on them that were in mint condition. The one thing I will suggest is that you get machines that have 4 wheel drive and a winch is always a handy thing.

Your best bet is if you are at all uncertin is to take a machine to a dealer and have it checked over. They can tell pretty quick if there is any serious issues likely to pop up. Might cost you a hundred bucks to find out a machine is toast but it's better than spending a few thousand and finding out it is toast.

True you will have two machines to insure, store, and maintain but you'll have a LOT more fun and so will your wife. The Kawartha ATV club has lots of lady riders so your wife will fit right in if she decides to join and I haven't met one member in that club that wouldn't take the time to help out a new member.

They will even help you learn how to service and repair your machine. Have you called them yet? They might even be able to help you in finding a couple of machines. Let me know if you need any help or if you would like me to introduce you.

Edited by Big Cliff

My new Polaris 500 with a 3500 lb winch was $6500.00, Marsh's Marine in Waubashene same price, Sturgess cycle in Hamilton $6,200.00 no winch. So for $12,000.00 you can almost get 2 & the 500 is ideal for me as I am an older, gentle rider, I don't use it for mud bogging. I mainly use mine to get on & off the ice & some trail riding while hunting partridge in the fall. 30 MPH across the ice is plenty fast for me. Hope this helps with your decision.