How I Make Leaders for Ice Fishing

Leecher

I've been prepping the gear tonight for tomorrows fishing trip and had to make leaders for my dead stick rods and thought I'd share how I make them :) Species targeted is walleyes and rainbows :)

First, the components you need... mono line, hooks and barrel swivel. I'm using treble hooks this time since last Saturday I lost a couple of rainbows and they straighten the single hook I had :wallbash: But not this time :devil:

DSC07530.jpg

I use 18" to 24" of line to start and tie a uni knot to the swivel and hook... final length is around 16" :)

DSC07532.jpg

DSC07533.jpg

My main line for all my rods is 15Lbs Power Pro braid so this gives me the peace of mind when setting the hook and doing battle with a feisty fish :) On my jigging rods I have the same setup except the treble is replaced by the lure... barrel swivel is use to cut down on line twist... so far I've been pretty impressed B)

Tight lines

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Great work Jacquesclapping.gif I like the idea of using a swivel between the leader and the main line.I used a tiny swivel on my baitcaster setup at the end of last season,and it did wonders keeping my mainline twist free. It didnt seem to bother the fish at all.

Great work Jacquesclapping.gif I like the idea of using a swivel between the leader and the main line.I used a tiny swivel on my baitcaster setup at the end of last season,and it did wonders keeping my mainline twist free. It didnt seem to bother the fish at all.

Thanks Paul!!! Yeah that little barrel swivel does wonders keeping the main line twist free B) I'm really impressed by it's performance :)

Edited by Leechman

12 lb test is pretty hefty stuff. I use 14 lb test Berkley XT for deep water cod and halibut fishing. Haven't had a break off yet even though I add a couple of dropper loops to the leader for added hooks.

Put some 8 lb test line on the end of your rod and tie the other end to a fence post. Pull with all your might and you will end up having to buy another rod.

Straightening a hook on a fish.....you won't get that if you use good quality high carbon hooks.

If you are going to use a live or dead minnow, I suggest 2 single hooks tied tandem with a real snell knot. Add the bait so that the fish can swallow it head first. Expose the points of the hooks in order to get a good hook up.

12 lb test is pretty hefty stuff. I use 14 lb test Berkley XT for deep water cod and halibut fishing. Haven't had a break off yet even though I add a couple of dropper loops to the leader for added hooks.

Put some 8 lb test line on the end of your rod and tie the other end to a fence post. Pull with all your might and you will end up having to buy another rod.

Straightening a hook on a fish.....you won't get that if you use good quality high carbon hooks.

If you are going to use a live or dead minnow, I suggest 2 single hooks tied tandem with a real snell knot. Add the bait so that the fish can swallow it head first. Expose the points of the hooks in order to get a good hook up.

Some good advice Dabluz :thumbsup_anim: 12Lbs mono is tough enough for what is needed and catch up here... especially trout... the one that straighten the hook was a rainbow and I was using a Mustad Ultra Point Octopus beak size 4 when it happen :w00t::w00t::w00t:

The darn thing just buckled under the strike :w00t: who'd a thought that it would... considering that I had caught them beauties a couple of weeks prior with the same setup :w00t:

DSC07466.jpg

DSC07462.jpg

Both were caught on the same leaders I made but rainbows fight harder and why I decided to use treble hooks instead :) They're just too good in the pan that I can't resist adding the extra muscle to my favour :D

Going back solo tomorrow for another round :)

Tight Lines

Jacques

Thanx for the tips. For walleye (hogs 8 - 10 lbs) on Lake Erie I use 30 lb power pro main line with a snap swivel, I tie my own worm harnesses with 36" of 20 lb fluoro carbon with a barrel swivel at the end to quickly attach to the snap swivel. Lots of fish in the freezer!!!

:thumbsup_anim:

Wish I lived closer, I would join you for some of those trout through the ice. :worthy:

:thumbsup_anim: 8h00 am is the time I'm leaving tomorrow morning for another round :) Tried to get the wife to join but she's got other things to do :whistling::lol:

Thanx for the tips. For walleye (hogs 8 - 10 lbs) on Lake Erie I use 30 lb power pro main line with a snap swivel, I tie my own worm harnesses with 36" of 20 lb fluoro carbon with a barrel swivel at the end to quickly attach to the snap swivel. Lots of fish in the freezer!!!

Awesome wormdunker B) Your welcome :thumbsup_anim:

Leechman, nice report and thank you for taking the time to add pics, etc........but can I suggest a couple of things from experience......treble hooks are your worst enemy when dealing with large trout and salmon.....what happens is one hook gets stuck in the upper jaw and another hook gets stuck in the lower jaw....then these extremely strong fish use their mouths to straighten out those treble hooks....if you just have a single hook in their mouth/jaw they can't use the hook against itself to straight it out....when I seriously fished Lake Ontario I removed all my trebles off my flutter spoons and replace them with strong carbon single hooks....most other guys did the same.

The other thing that concerns me a "little" if you are having fish rip off the hooks is the use of Power Pro line....these super lines that have no stretch also don't give you any give/stretch like mono does....once a large fish is hooked, mono acts somewhat like a shock absorber when a large fish takes that unexpected run....this stretch is built into the line and really does compensate for our mistakes on the end of the rod.....this is why most large fish break off near the boat....with very little line now between the fish and the rod there is NOT much stretch going to happen when that large fish takes it's last run boat side....if the angler is not ready to back reel and there is a week spot in the line or how the hook is in the mouth...well then, we have all been there watching that trophy swim off.... :wallbash:

Bob

Ever tried these fly clips made by Mustad? Easy on and off.

mustad_snap_clips.jpg

On a side note, anyone knows how to make the orange rubber seal for stinger hooks?

No I haven't young_one... those looks the same as with the stinger hooks I have for jigs... yeah easy on / off for sure :) And for your second question... sorry but I don't know

Leechman, nice report and thank you for taking the time to add pics, etc........but can I suggest a couple of things from experience......treble hooks are your worst enemy when dealing with large trout and salmon.....what happens is one hook gets stuck in the upper jaw and another hook gets stuck in the lower jaw....then these extremely strong fish use their mouths to straighten out those treble hooks....if you just have a single hook in their mouth/jaw they can't use the hook against itself to straight it out....when I seriously fished Lake Ontario I removed all my trebles off my flutter spoons and replace them with strong carbon single hooks....most other guys did the same.

The other thing that concerns me a "little" if you are having fish rip off the hooks is the use of Power Pro line....these super lines that have no stretch also don't give you any give/stretch like mono does....once a large fish is hooked, mono acts somewhat like a shock absorber when a large fish takes that unexpected run....this stretch is built into the line and really does compensate for our mistakes on the end of the rod.....this is why most large fish break off near the boat....with very little line now between the fish and the rod there is NOT much stretch going to happen when that large fish takes it's last run boat side....if the angler is not ready to back reel and there is a week spot in the line or how the hook is in the mouth...well then, we have all been there watching that trophy swim off.... :wallbash:

Bob

Thanks Bob for the great advice :thumbsup_anim:B)

Last summer I bought some trailer hooks with those clips on them. The first 2 fish that bit were 2 small pike and they both wiggled around so much that the clip came undone.

I still have 1 trailer hook with the clip. I'm going to take the clip off and use a small sleeve to attach the trailer hook to a jig.