Looking for a Down Imaging Sonar

danbouck

I want to buy a sonar strictly for down imaging this year. Lowrance or Hummingbird, doesn't really matter which one. Definitely want a 5" screen.

My question is; How are the greyscale units in the daylight? I can't afford a colour one but I'm going to hold off if I'm going to regret not getting a colour screen.

I have checked them out in the stores and the greyscale units look like they will do just fine but wanted to see what people thought.

Have you seen the new Lowrance Elite-4 series. It's only a 3.5" screen, but you can get a color one at a great price. The DSI only version is currently $200 at BPS in the states ($400 for the Elite-5x). They're new so not sure how available they are atm. I am planning on getting something in that series (or the B&W Mark-4 series) to replace my current portable.

Edited by FishLogic

I want to buy a sonar strictly for down imaging this year. Lowrance or Hummingbird, doesn't really matter which one. Definitely want a 5" screen.

My question is; How are the greyscale units in the daylight? I can't afford a colour one but I'm going to hold off if I'm going to regret not getting a colour screen.

I have checked them out in the stores and the greyscale units look like they will do just fine but wanted to see what people thought.

If you think you'll ever want structure scan buy Lowrance. If you're interested in a 5" HDS Lowrance HD Gen 1 unit send me a PM.

I recommend giving Joc a call @ Angling Outfitters in Woodstock. He'll answer all of your questions and get you set up with what you need for your style of fishing AND set it all up so it'll be plug & play all at a great price, 519-539-5494.

He carries both Humminbird & Lowrance.

Cheers G.

Edited by Gman