residential propane hook-up

lew

Our kitchen stove runs off propane that is in a tank outside the house. The line comes through the wall and hooks into the stove.

The silver flex hose from the stove is on your left and the copper on the right is the supply line from the outside tank.

Does anyone know FOR SURE if a compression fitting is used where the supply line connects to the stove, or is it something else ??

002.jpg

001.jpg

Lew, every in home stove I have ever seen connected to (natural) gas uses a compression flex hose like you have there....BUT.....they recommend you do not RE-USE a flex hose when installing a new stove...AND...every supply line I have ever dealt with uses solid piping the usually comes up from the floor....this way it's a more solid connection that will not be disturbed by vibrations.

Gas driers also use the compression fitting flex hose and I also have seen many on hot water heaters....but again to solid piping...

every supply line I have ever dealt with uses solid piping the usually comes up from the floor....this way it's a more solid connection that will not be disturbed by vibrations.

Thanks Bob, this installation was done by one of the largest propane companies in the area so I would imagine it's done to code.

Lew, check with your local building code. I had a gas stove put in my kitchen with a new gas line, well, an illegal fitting was used for the connection, no sealant was used and to boot, it was only on hand tight. When I had a gas fireplace installed in the basement, the gas fitter pointed this all out to me. The store shose service I used originally was out of business by then, good riddance, people like that don't deserve their jobs. As a former firefighter, you know not to mess with natural gas and propane. Look into it to make sure.

Oh, and running an approved grade copper line is fine, as long as all fittings and connections are eaccessable/exposed for service and leak detection purpose.

It is a good idea to have the shutoff vavle very accessable as well, not behind applience where it will be deficult to reach in case of an emergency.

Best to use a licensed gas fitter for any gas work according to local code.

Edited by stonefish