Baitcaster/braided line discussion

boombap

Ok your right, so heres one of my reels, 50 pound power pro and 6:4:1 gear ratio.

With 30 lb Power Pro on my low profile bait caster just about all of the line comes off the spool when I cast. It goes a mile. If I went any lighter I wouldn't have any line to go further anyway. Perhaps that would be a consideration for you as well.

With 30 lb Power Pro on my low profile bait caster just about all of the line comes off the spool when I cast. It goes a mile. If I went any lighter I wouldn't have any line to go further anyway. Perhaps that would be a consideration for you as well.

See, I can only manage a quarter of my spool IF that with 50 pound on this reel.. Ill definitely be trying out some 30 pound.. either the regular stuff or the super 8 slick.

What is your spool tension set at?

I've tried them all, I have only used this reel 2-3 times with light lures.. Im sure something heaver would toss out some more line. A have a spinning reel that I can almost spool with the same lures I tried out.. it has 20# power pro.

• 1 month later...

Here's a update on one of my braid setups.

I picked up a chronarch CH201E5 and paired it with my crucial crankbait rod. I love the setup, extremely light. I also picked up some power pro super slick #20 test. I spooled the reel last night and it seems that the line keeps digging in to the spool. Although I havent used it yet, I think I am going to face some problems when I do.

BillM, how accurate is this? The berkley seems extremely strong.

Those were independant tests carried out by Tackle Tour people about 10 years ago. They did 5 or 6 tests on each line they had at the time and yes, Fireline was way stronger than the other lines. They also tested abrasion resistance in those tests. Mason Tiger braid won the abrasion tests. Fireline on the whole behaved very well in those tests. So, even if Fireline does not have a strong knot test, from what I have read, the knots do test out stronger than the rated breaking strength of the line. Pretty well all the braided and fused lines have a knot strength around the rated strength of the line itself.

I'm sure that somebody will eventually make some new tests because most fishing lines have improved over the past 10 years.

I would bet my money on the fact that there are no really bad lines anymore. It's now just a choice on whether or not you want a coated line or not, how well coated the line is, how the line is braided, how silent or slick it is etc.

Edited by Dabluz

I find it interesting that people use braid smaller then 30lb on their baitcasters.

Line diameter is very important for braid on baitcasters, smaller then 30lb and the line with its smooth surface will bind down on to the spool resulting in some nasty backlashes that do not want to come out.

Something to consider when you spool up the baitcaster.

I find it interesting that people use braid smaller then 30lb on their baitcasters.

Line diameter is very important for braid on baitcasters, smaller then 30lb and the line with its smooth surface will bind down on to the spool resulting in some nasty backlashes that do not want to come out.

I find that braid binds if it doesn't go on the spool tight.

Also - if there is a difference in casting distance with different braid ratings/diameters I don't think it would be all that significant.

Tip wrap isn't the fault of the the braid - it's the user 98% of the time.

Accuracy is a lot more important than distance, especially in bass fishing. Frog fishing may need longer casts, but if you need more distance, just get a longer rod and make sure the lure rating is correct for the rod so the blank is loaded properly.

I've never had trouble with line binding into the line already on the spool. I use a very light drag. I pump the rod otherwise, only the reel handle turns. I use 18 lb test Mason Tiger braid on 2 baitcasters and have never had problems with line digging into the spool. The strongest braid I use for softwater fishing is 30 lb test and this line is rarely used.

I have my pitching rods for bass where I use 50lb braided Super Slick, then frog rods with 65lb braid. I am going to try and use 30lb braid on my 6'10MH/Calais. It's a spinnerbait rod mostly but would be good for a chatterbait or buzzbait rod too. I use 30lb braid here because it's plenty strong to pull fish to the boat, but it's a nice diameter of line at a 8lb line diameter vs the 12lb diameter of 50lb braid. That being said, they make Super Slick in 40lb braid also that has a diameter of 10lb mono. It's a nice in between and is just right.

30lb .28mm

40lb .32mm

50lb .36mm

I used the 40lb yesterday casting around some pike baits. It handled great and was very impressed with it.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Yesterday in my backyard I put a small 1/4 oz weight on my 7ft crucial/chronarch with 20# super slick and it casts a mile! Was very impressed. No line digging in the spool.. We will see when I throw heavier lures on there.