Finbore III manual auger replacement section?

frozen-fire

Odd thing happened this season with my Finbore III auger handle (the entire top section).

It is now somewhat bent.

The top section has 3 holes for different heights where you can screw the bolt into. I can only screw it into the bottom one (for highest setting) and the other two are no longer able to take in the bolt, due to the bend. The section actually can no longer fit into the bottom section anymore either.

Not sure how this happened.

Maybe it was under some extreme load during transport. :dunno:

As of right now, it will no longer cut through ice. I fish with 3 other guys that all have the same auger and they can drill fine and have not experienced a bent/angled top section either.

My blades are relatively new... replaced last season.

I've had this auger for about 2-3 years.

Anyone experience something similar?

Do they sell replacements?

put your bent top section on your buddies auger, and I bet it works fine. I'm thinking your blades took a poke when the handle got bent. I have an auger with a bent handle too, and it works fine, as long as the blades are sharp.

S.

i twisted the handle right off my fin bore 8" last year

i was working through the last inch... i gave it that extra hard little twist you normally do to finish a hole...

i was left holding the handle with my auger in the hole... ended up there was a stick at the bottom of the ice... so i was hitting that and not busting through the last inch...

I was at Billy Bob's bait in North Bay yesterday and they sold me a blade cap with strap for $5 for my Finbore Micro. They also showed me a catalogue with replacement parts... next time I go back I will get the name of that distributor and maybe you can call them for new parts.

Sounds like your blades are buggered. They really should be changed every season or at least have a spare set handy as one blade will always dull on you at the very worst time :) lol. The curved blades don't last near as long as straight ones.

As for your handle you should be able to massage the bend out of it with a bench vise etc. enough so that it isn't so noticeable.

They really are the best auger gas or otherwise IMO Have had mine since '98 or so. However many season's that is :D

Sounds like your blades are buggered. They really should be changed every season or at least have a spare set handy as one blade will always dull on you at the very worst time :) lol. The curved blades don't last near as long as straight ones.

As for your handle you should be able to massage the bend out of it with a bench vise etc. enough so that it isn't so noticeable.

They really are the best auger gas or otherwise IMO Have had mine since '98 or so. However many season's that is :D

Oh and one more thing! if you find the auger does get hung up on that last skiff of ice before you break through don't force it!

That will bent you handle after a few times and dull your blades quicker than anything. Just back the auger off and massage it through.

If you find the auger is getting hung up alot its usually the operator putting too much down pressure on the auger when drilling... These augers don't need excessive down pressure, they cut all by themselves!

Just get both arms going and let er go :)

Sometimes all it takes is one little bump, and they're toast. A piece of weed/sand/wood in the ice, etc. They can be finicky.Try new ones and see....at least you will know for sure whether its the blades or not. I'd bet it is.

S.

Sometimes all it takes is one little bump, and they're toast. A piece of weed/sand/wood in the ice, etc. They can be finicky.Try new ones and see....at least you will know for sure whether its the blades or not. I'd bet it is.

S.

I'd give them a little more credit than that. I drive that sucker sideways to widen my holes, haven't had a sheathe on it for 12 months, drag it around, drill over 500 holes per season and it still cuts pretty good. It's getting to the point where I need to replace the blade but I'm sure I've dropped it face first on asphalt a couple times..whistling.gif oops. If my steel blades got dulled on a piece of weed ...well...I don't know what I would say about that.

Frozen Fire, If your handle is bent, I'm quite sure that will affect the angle of attack. If your blades show no sign of wear, I'd say they are just fine. Get a hold of a distributor and replace the handle. Sounds like it's seen better days anyway. Got a photo?

Change the blades every year????? I've had my auger going on 9 years and have yet to change the blades,they still cut like butter.I am fishing 2-3 times a week every year.

Good for you man:)

Well at least hava extra set on hand . Like I said had my auger since they first came out. You get good blades - you get bad ones. I betcha my first set (when I got the thing) lasted two seasons or more. Set I put on at end of last season maybe cut 5-6 holes... Dont know what happened - guard wasn't removed all year. But I sure wish I had a spare set about now :D Blades are hard to come by ask any retailer, they don't sit on the shelf too long. I hava set on back order right now

Might be a reason for that ;)

I'd give them a little more credit than that. I drive that sucker sideways to widen my holes, haven't had a sheathe on it for 12 months, drag it around, drill over 500 holes per season and it still cuts pretty good. It's getting to the point where I need to replace the blade but I'm sure I've dropped it face first on asphalt a couple times..whistling.gif oops. If my steel blades got dulled on a piece of weed ...well...I don't know what I would say about that.

Frozen Fire, If your handle is bent, I'm quite sure that will affect the angle of attack. If your blades show no sign of wear, I'd say they are just fine. Get a hold of a distributor and replace the handle. Sounds like it's seen better days anyway. Got a photo?

Put some new blades on and I bet you'll be surprised.

I've owned, at some point, pretty much every kind of hand auger. I still prefer a manual, over gas. I spend a lot of time on ice, and I've drilled a lot of holes. The only time an auger doesn't cut, is when the blades are pooched, or the blade mounts are bent. You will know when they mounts are bent, and it is hard to do. Why not start with blades and go from there.

I've seen blades get pooched from grass, weeds, sand, and even frozen cigarette butts. It doesn't take much.

S.