Nippissing Ice noobie

SirWhite

Hey guys,

Next weekend marks the first "hardwater" fishing weekend of my fishing buddies and I. We've reserved a "Super Bungalow" and looks like we'll be put in the south bay. I am excited to get a line back in water as I have not been out since Sept.

Anyways, with all the Nippissing hard icers in here, I figured I might gain a bit of OFC knowledge. Thanks in advance, Nipfisher!

1st question o'great fishers is, are there vehicles on the ice in that area? Was told usually just park next to hut, but of course I am a bit weary of that.

2nd question is, which lures should I be jigging? Ill have the tried and true Mr.J and Williams Wabbler, Jigging Rap, and spoons.

I do NOT want Perch, I don't in summer and I don't in winter. I am really trying for a PB after I had such a skunky summer (one big smallie). So its big Walleye and Northerns that I'm really after.

3rd question o'great fishers is, are there any things you would have brought to a hut, had you known what it was going to be like?

I really appreciate belonging to this forum, I have already learned so much, that come summer ILL be the new "go to guy" in my group.

Can't wait till Friday!!!

The first one I can't help you with but as far as jigging goes I would suggest small crippled herrings, buckshots and good old ball head jigs. Dangling a minnow on a hook can also be very effective. As for the bungalows most of them have everything you need. Maybe a deck of cards or something like that when the fishing is slow.

Kuha

Lots of vehicals everywhere on the south side 18" of ice. We were out with Idyl Tyme the past 3days. It was a blast even though the fish were a little on the smaller side. just make sure your up for the early bite. they come in for a few hrs then you basically have to wait for the evening bite. Quite a bit of dead time, but thats how it goes sometimes. We hite about 10 smaller Pickerel, 2 2lb Herrings and some perch. Most were caugh on minnows/jigs. Jigged up a few pics. on Buckshots and Sweedish Pimples.Good Luck.

I drove on the ice today.. it's safe in most places, but still, be cautious. We don't have the amount of ice we typically get. Approx 18 inches right now.

Rip jigging a 3 or 4 inch spoon or jiggin rap should get you some walleye... maybe try a 6inch lively chub as well for the big girls.

Hey guys,

Anyways, with all the Nippissing hard icers in here, I figured I might gain a bit of OFC knowledge. Thanks in advance, Nipfisher! :thumbsup_anim:

1st question o'great fishers is, are there vehicles on the ice in that area? Was told usually just park next to hut, but of course I am a bit weary of that. Your operator will have the best knowledge of ice conditions, but I am guessing you will be able to drive all over the area watching out for pressure cracks.

2nd question is, which lures should I be jigging? Ill have the tried and true Mr.J and Williams Wabbler, Jigging Rap, and spoons.

I do NOT want Perch, I don't in summer and I don't in winter. I am really trying for a PB after I had such a skunky summer (one big smallie). So its big Walleye and Northerns that I'm really after.

I would purchase a couple of Puppet Minnow jigging lures. They are big enough that the perch should leave it alone. Also using the larger size buckshot spons with a minnow head on the treble should bring in some bigger fish.

It will actually depend on how hard, fast you rip and drop the jigging spoons that will deter the perch. A big lively shiner or chub on a tip up will often get big pike.

3rd question o'great fishers is, are there any things you would have brought to a hut, had you known what it was going to be like?

I have never stayed in a bungalow but from other threads baby wipes are reccomended. Also some hand sanitizer.

I really appreciate belonging to this forum, I have already learned so much, that come summer ILL be the new "go to guy" in my group.

Can't wait till Friday!!!

Edited by Nipfisher

Lindy Darter chart glow, Jigging Rap, More-silda kit, Live Forage Fish Fry and 3-way spreader just purchased. Wow hope I do some verticle jigging in summer cause this was expensive. Def had a lot of fun clearing out my tackle box of summer Cranks, spinners and Jitterbugs lol.

Thanks for all the posts, will definetly get some hand sanitizer!

Edited by SirWhite