Scarbrough / Pickering Bait

John Bacon

What is the best place to pickup bait before heading to Frenchman's Bay tomorrow morning?

I know Lucky's at Sheppard and Midland sells bait; are they open early? What about Tightlines? Or AV at Sheppard and Shorting?

I wish Rerries was still there.

I would appreciate your recommendations.

When I lived in Scarborough, both lucky's and AV were open 24 hrs a day. I cant imagine they have changed their store hours. I walked into AV once at 2 am to pick some last minute tackle and there was a line up at the register lol.

Enjoy.

-Sawyer

What happened with Rerries, I haven't been down that way in awhile and didn't know they'd gone ??

I think it was about a year ago that he closed down. I am not sure if he had to close or just decided to retire; but he had a sale for about a month and there is a variety store there now.

Thanks guys. I ended up visiting all three places. AV opens at 10:00am on Saturdays. Lucky's is supposed to be open 24 hours a day; there is a sign stating to ring the bell... but nobody came to the door. Luckily, Tightlines was open and did have minnows.

The derby did go ahead; but there were not too many people entered. The ice didn't sound too safe early in the morning. Once the clouds showed up the ice seemed to firm up. There was some open water on the east side of the bay; I did see a couple of boats out there.

I only managed one 9 oz perch. It was the 2nd largest fish at the time; but the pike started biting later in the day so it didn't hold up.

Overall it was a good day with people coming from as far away as London.

Hopefully we will have a better winter next year so people don't think that they putting their lives at risk by entering.