In side what makes The Skipper Tic

Skipper D

Ya redneck , back when things were simpler ............ lol . Bob give us some thing fishing to talk about , you pick it for today , you got some thing you need to understand .

Well, since I can't walk on water and the fishing machine is in winter storage, there is no fishing here to be had..... :wallbash:

I used to catch my own bait a lot of the time, obviously a size 12-16 hook with the barb flattened to prevent damage to them is going to work better than trying to catch minnows or chubs with a size 2 hook?

For bass, walleye and such I have never seen a need to go smaller than size 1, and the amount of cover in an area can dictate whether I used light wire or heavy wire hooks.

Hook size /3 , /2 , 12-16 might be confusing trying to learn it from a forum for a newbie reading it in a post and trying to make sence of it , heres some thing that might help others to understand what hook numbers mean , the lower the hook number the bigger the hook , i know it did for me

I used to catch my own bait a lot of the time, obviously a size 12-16 hook with the barb flattened to prevent damage to them is going to work better than trying to catch minnows or chubs with a size 2 hook?

For bass, walleye and such I have never seen a need to go smaller than size 1, and the amount of cover in an area can dictate whether I used light wire or heavy wire hooks.

Thank you for your post Ohiofisherman , it just gave me another idea . Any one know what we might get if we crossed thease two things , family size pop bottle and a jar of dog treats ?????

Edited by Skipper " D "

I suppose you could make a minnow trap? It would be wise to check your regulations? Size of the opening? One reason I fished for bait, what I liked to use for it wouldn`t fit thru the opening allowed. Also catching species native to the water you were fishing produced better results.

I suppose you could make a minnow trap? It would be wise to check your regulations? Size of the opening? One reason I fished for bait, what I liked to use for it wouldn`t fit thru the opening allowed. Also catching species native to the water you were fishing produced better results.

Well theres a new for me, size opening regulation , any one know what that would be for us in Ontario ?

Make a minnow trap you sure can , if any one wants to see how i'd be glad to show'um , with Billy bob using a net to catch minnows and lets say with me useing a minnow trap do i have to still worried about regulations for the opening on my trap ?

Edited by Skipper " D "

Skipper it`s been a long time since I was up there and they have really worked over your regulations. As I recall the opening could be no larger than one inch? No idea if that has changed and I don`t see it stated in the regs, just a size limit for the trap. It used to be legal for us to trap our own bait there, that also changed to residents only.

Skipper it`s been a long time since I was up there and they have really worked over your regulations. As I recall the opening could be no larger than one inch? No idea if that has changed and I don`t see it stated in the regs, just a size limit for the trap. It used to be legal for us to trap our own bait there, that also changed to residents only.

Theres always some thing new to know , with this home made minnow trap we should be ok , the opening is an inch , unless thats change here , think i'll do what i do best and play stupid til some one tells me differant ..... lol

Haven't heard that in a while...for some reason reminds me of Howard Stern :P

Try em out Skip that's the best way to find out if yer ideas are good or not

Thanks there spinn , sorry for the bad memory but i think your the one who's holding a rod for me right ?

My old thread "buiding your own custom fishing boat" is so far gone down the pages on the board , i don't feel like going after it, figure i can pick it up here on this one for those who might be interested . I'd like to post a few pic's like before and after on getting an unused bay in my shop reno'd and made ready to have a place where i can work on the boat in my spare time , theres still more work to do but heres this for now .This is before..................................

Edited by Skipper " D "

And now of the same area , Ihave to pick up conduit yet and do the electrical for the new lighting and do a restore to the over head door before i can organize the room with tools and bring the boat in . Just puttering away with the time i have to spend on it from day to day ........lol

Edited by Skipper " D "

A few pic's of the boat that will be getting the make over once the shop reno is finished . Why some ask , why not just buy a new fishing boat , i've always liked the bigger boats with the covered bow which is some thing you can't seem to find in a new fishing boat thease days .

• 2 weeks later...

After some PM's recieved today showing interest in how things are coming along i am bumping this up . Later tomorrow morning when i am on the other computer where the pictures are i'll post a few for an update to whats happening .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Hey Skip thanx for the info. Please show us how u make the minnow trap. Nice looking shop, can I come & PLAY!! U must be my twin. I do ALL my work myself, forever tinkering in my garage. Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on my portable fish hut that folds out in less than 30 seconds (ready to fish)! It even has retractable wheels for running down a dry road. When I get to the ice in less than 1 minute the wheels R retracted, the hut is now on skis WOO HOO!

Hey Skip thanx for the info. Please show us how u make the minnow trap. Nice looking shop, can I come & PLAY!! U must be my twin. I do ALL my work myself, forever tinkering in my garage. Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on my portable fish hut that folds out in less than 30 seconds (ready to fish)! It even has retractable wheels for running down a dry road. When I get to the ice in less than 1 minute the wheels R retracted, the hut is now on skis WOO HOO!

Thats great , feel free to post some pictures here and show all of us what you made , it sounds interesting and i am shure others would like to get a look at it as well .