Calling all jig experts - we need advice

Tomcat

We found a supplier who will custom make some Grave Digger Hair jigs for us. Consequently, we've been asked to specify what hooks and hook sizes we'd like in these jigs. Since we have no experience in this area, we would appreciate some advice.

We're having these jigs made in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 ounce sizes (we would have liked 1/16 ounce too but there is no 1/16 ounce jig mold available for this particular jig). Tentatively, we expect to specify a size 1 Mustad Aberdeen Jig hook for the 1/8 ounce jigs and a size 1/0 Mustad Aberdeen Jig hook for the 1/4 and 1/2 ounce jigs. These Mustad Aberdeen Jig hooks can be seen at http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=640 Will we be OK with these hooks? Does anyone think that there's an advantage to using red hooks?

We've also been asked to specify body colour, thread colour and hair colour. Consequently, we'd appreciate any advice on these selections as well.

We will be using these jigs for walleyes in typical shield lakes and rivers. Thanks in advance.

Personally I've had little success on hair jigs, I love jigs my box is filled with over 1000 most times. Live bait jigs with a short shaft hook are my go to, tipped with minnow or worm and a stinger hook. If you don't like live bait, I think a plastic grub/minnow/leech etc.. would be more productive than hair.

Red hooks ? I haven't noticed a difference, better or worse.

Body Color ? My favorites are chartreuse, orange, white or any combination of those colors.

If I had to use hair it would be marabou not bucktail, it has a lot more action in the water, I like red thread and hair color to match the bait fish/worms. Brown, black, white, blue, orange.

As far as hook size, I think you should tell the guy making the jigs to put whatever size he thinks are best. It would depend on how long and bulky the hair is.

Edited by GbayGiant

I use Mustad 32746BLN in most of my jigs, I like the black nickel finish and they are sharp, also almost 3 times as much cost wise, but way cheaper than gammies. I also like a bigger hook, but most of my fishing is for bass, I go with a 2/0 to 4/0 hook. Walleyes mouth will handle a bigger hook and on a small jig there might be less chance of getting bit off?

I do down size on some jigheads and use a size 1, but basically it is because of the size of the soft plastic I am using on it. Nothing wrong with hair jigs, I have caught a lot of fish on them and prefer bucktail to maribou, but again for bass. I do manage to catch walleye, pike, and a little of everything on them though.

Haven`t seen the grave diggers around for a while, my favorite was the old doll fly, the hooks were crap though.