Can anyone tell me the name of these?

nautifish

Yesterday morning early AM i did my drive down to timmies and then down to the peir to check out the water when i saw hundreds of these birds. Now i am guessing PORT DOVER must be on a migratory route because i have seen more different speices of birds this yr than i have over the last five yrs. Just a month ago we had whistler swans every where, even flying over my house. Usually you tend to see them more around the LPB long point bay erea. But for some reason we had alot of them around port dover on the lake this year. Which was great may i add.

bird7.jpg

bird.jpg

bird4.jpg

bird6.jpg

bird3.jpg

So does anyone know what these are and where they are heading for the summer?

Edited by nautifish

I really have no clue brandon. I know my birds of prey and the exotic species but when it comes to ducks and such i am not that good.. :blink: ....My 1st time ever seeing these type of birds. Beautiful too but they were in there hundreds. Constantly diving also........

It does not matter what exact name they have, they are indeed Mergansers.

Thanx alot guys......So are these birds heading north?

As for the flying 100 mph i reckon they can swim that too....lol...These birds move fast allways moving They are not a easy bird to get a picture of thats for sure.

I was in Dover yesterday with the family for a drive. Stopped by the Arbour for a couple foot long dogs and then saw the same birds. I also wondered what they were...

Sherriff

Footlongs? In dover we like to call them death missiles. :D lol

Dover is coming back to life with visitors which is allways nice to see after winter time. :thumbsup_anim:

Okay so i am guessing these are two different types of merganzers?. I could see the one breed there was male and female.....But the pics of the two at the very top were not the same as the others i have posted.

Red breasted merganser. That's all I can ID in the pics you posted. There's a couple gull-type birds in the 3rd pic. Not sure what those are.

They pretty well live off fish. That's why they dive a lot in large flocks. They are definitely headed north, where to is hard to say. Their range goes coast to coast.

Last fall's migration was a little weird for a lot of waterfowl. Different species were showing up where they normally don't go or aren't common. If that's carried over to the trip back north, could explain why you've never seen them before.

A loon? I did not think they had the tufts clampet? But heck i dunno....lol...

As for the gulls yes i noticed them too but was wondering if maybe it was some kind of accident GENE or something because they look like black headed gulls......Just never seen gulls with all the white speckles........Man we got to have someone in here that is huge on wild birds. :whistling: .....lol...

There are half a dozen species of hooded gulls but not many have black bills. I'd suggest that these would be Bonaparte's gulls. Red breasted mergansers would be my guess on the ducks too.