Block heater question

mike rousseau

It's a ford and already has a block heater... Just never used it...

And the battery has more cranking amps then stock... I made sure to up the power a bit when I replaced the battery 2-3 years ago...

I'm really thinking when cold it takes a lot of power to start the v8... And if I'm not driving very far... The alternator can't keep up...

Your battery is sitting for a week in well below zero temps. A 30-40min drive one time a week isn't going to help much.

Your battery is sitting for a week in well below zero temps. A 30-40min drive one time a week isn't going to help much.

Five minutes of idling should regenerate a good battery after starting.

It's not like the alternator is trickle charging the battery.

Mike. Even if the alternator is not working properly,Your battery is done from the excesses drain.The damage is all ready done.

Mike, I use my truck just about exactly as you do with maybe a weekly trip or two to Bridgenorth and back (20km round trip) and my truck starts instantly no matter how cold. There are times the truck may have sat for almost a month between starts. Original battery lasted about seven years and I have about four years into the replacement.

My guess is you need a new battery and if it's only a few years old, maybe an alternator.