I'm a goin Crappie Huntin T'is Weekend. What you use for'em?

Harrison

Hey all, I am heading up to Rice on Sunday to start my yearly hunt for the Crappies on Rice lake. I've got on them a few times the past couple years, but still struck out more often then not. Tough to find'em and once you do, to stay on'em.

I am addicted to the hunt, it's like fishing new water since the Kawarthas opened up for ice fishing.

Most fish are taken on Northland Creep worms or Lindy Frostees tipped with a maggot or Gulp baits (frys, minnow heads, leeches etc.) I am basically fishing for them like I do perch on Simcoe.

Anyone more experienced on the hard stuff for crappie care to share what techniques they use for icing them?

Thanks,

Phil

Edited by Harrison

Phil, in shallow waters, I use tear drop jigs and tip it with Gulp maggots or fry (Fish fry I cut in half and use the back end). I also use tiny tubes, Atomic teasers and tip it with fry cut in halves. See pic below:

Tear drop jigs located bottom right

DSC07322.jpg

Tiny tubes Atomic Teasers (pink & orange) located next to the blue buckshot in section 2 from the right

DSC07323.jpg

Good luck with your hunt!!!

Leechman

Finesse Shad 1/16 unpainted lunker city head made specifically for these bodies with a Arkansas shiner body. You don't need anything else. A little tough to fish if deeper then 20 ft because the jig head is so light but it works.

Good luck on your quest Phil.

Thank you sir, most fish have been found in the 6 to 12ft range. I use a drop shot style rig with two baits per line. Helps with the deeper stuff. Have some tungeston to try too. FinS is my Simcoe go to, but not much luck on Rice with it...yet.

Phil, in shallow waters, I use tear drop jigs and tip it with Gulp maggots or fry (Fish fry I cut in half and use the back end). I also use tiny tubes, Atomic teasers and tip it with fry cut in halves. See pic below:

Tear drop jigs located bottom right

Tiny tubes Atomic Teasers (pink & orange) located next to the blue buckshot in section 2 from the right

Good luck with your hunt!!!

Leechman

Thanks Leech!

Northland Forage Minnow with Power Maggot (1, 2 or 3). I generally hook the maggots so they have a bit of a curl to them when they're on the hook so they look more lifelike. Have caught many many crappie this way and often find it's all I can catch them on.

good luck

Hmm, I just got some of the Forage as well. I'll give them a shot too! Thanks

Edited by Harrison

catch some perch and slice the gullet out. Slice into maggot size peices.Put on a tear drop and tip it with the gullet peice.Works here,just fine.

Where is here? Barrie? Only crappie there are the wings at that place on the bay with the nice scenery. :D

I think my favourite spoon for any panfish has to be the buckshot spoon. It looks bigger than the other "panfish" spoons around, but even the dink perch love it!

If I do tip the spoon, it'll be with a 1" gulp minnow.

As for plastics, I find I like the selection from Northland. The tails seem to be the best at quivering of all other plastics I've seen so far.